Stylized Sushi

Fancy some sushi? The render was fun to make though I do enjoy the real thing quite a lot.
Not aiming for realism, just a weekend project for a new wallpaper, made mostly for fun.

Tentacle

23 Likes

Speaking as someone who generally likes sushi, the flopping tentacle might just be a little too much for me to handle.

Excellent job on the animation, though. :smiley:

3 Likes

Give it to us raw, and wriggling!

Haha just kidding, never tried sushi that fresh myself.
The animation was actually just a simple viewport capture made as side joke, but glad you like it.

4 Likes

I actually saw a video the other day where half a fish was wiggling in the cutting pan… not like the head or tail – it was cut head to tail with no innards, just the meat and it was almost flopping out of the pan! I guess it was just electrical impulses or something but it was really weird.

Anyway – nice work on the sushi.

1 Like

I really like the pattern and coloring of the wallpaper banner you made. The chopsticks at a nice flare.

I can’t tell if the gradient texture adds to or takes away from the scene… the floppy squid kinda takes over the scene :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

The original is twice the size, it is for a two monitor setup, hence the banner like proportion. Now that you mention it a banner style setup over a solid background would be cool too.

I believe the gradient texture you refer to is just the lighting effect from the main light above the scene

1 Like

I saw a few of those too, some with a whole fish or octopus half cooked and still alive at the table. Not sure I’d be able to eat any of those, not that it disgusts me, I just find it cruel and unnecessary

There’s a dish where this is actually the main feature. I forget what it’s called, but it’s essentially a type of (dead) octopus that reacts to salts in the sauce that’s poured over it. It’s served upright over a bowl of rice and when the sauce is poured on top, the tentacles start flopping around and it appears to dance in the bowl. Would love to try it some day, but I’ll eat pretty much anything that comes out of the ocean :octopus:

Love the sushi render @dphantom. I think the gradient gives a nice stylized feel, and I like the rectangularity of everything. I could see this being used in graphic design for a sushi restaurant.

1 Like

You’re #featured, enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you provide more details on how you did the rice?

Wow what a honor. Thanks, @bartv :slight_smile:

1 Like

Played around if a few options before went this this one, like a particle based solution; a simple mesh with a diffuse voronoi texture; or bump mapping with fresnel color ramp

From the few techniques I tried this please me the most. It’s basically a low resolution base mesh highly subdivided with a Displace modifier on top, driven by a procedural Voronoi texture. For material I used a blend of a plain white Diffuse shader with a bit of Translucency in the mix.

1 Like

whahah that animated octopus is weird man

2 Likes