Stylized Toon Shading (Video Training WIP)

Hello. I´m developing this model to show the most prominent features of the toon shader techniques used in videogames inside Blender. Here´s a WIP:

3 Likes

I got an idea from your post, on how about creating textures using palettes instead of literally painted textures.

As for example in the screen shot I might replace the voronoi texture with something else custom painted and get perfect results.

Can you present that idea in a real-world case application? I am curious. My mind is flying in any direction if I think you’ve posted what I think you’ve posted :slight_smile:

Which is getting a grayscale texture of something and then try to find a perfect balance of 3 tones (shadow - base - highlight). Then this texture is going to feed the color ramp.

As for example getting a screenshot from your video, specifically on the clothes.

A proper texture painted correctly might need many hours so everything is carefully tuned, all shadows (creases, seams) all highlights (buttons, metallics) and every other detail is carefully managed.

I did this in only a few seconds trying to match the tones as best as I could, however it does not exactly looks perfect, but at least the technique shows it’s power.

As searching in google found something similar posted a while ago. It would really worth checking out.

Generally, I really like your work because that way NPR techniques are further explored and popularized. :slight_smile:

ahh, ok. So yeah, you’re doing what I think you’re doing.
Yes, this “principle” of finding the correct grey-scale tone is explained in the basic stylized cube exercise.
It’s the basis for everything we do in artwork (2d/photoshop/claroscuro painting technique, etc…). Basic photography started this way. And so, I go through a lot of examples on the stylized series showing that, how they can be layered and then introduce color (if you get everything right in a grey-scale, you add color, everything matches perfectly: Depth and rich value-wise).
The “question” I made during the series was: “How can we introduce color rich values that can compliment a greyscale based node image”? * And the answer is: Put a COLOR LAYER on top patining on a transparent texture and drive it with hue/sat nodes. That way your “basic” color may change, and then the top layer also can be adjusted.

Since this is “abstract” representation of a much simpler workflow, I´ll take the time to do a proper video explaining this principle for NPR shader creation.

Thanks for replying to this thread.