Su-25T Frogfoot

Are you going to create a bump texture of panel seams, bolts, and other details? In such a case you’d better unwrap this fuselage in a way that you will be able to match it later to the reference drawings (to draw these bump map details).

[SUB]The whole process of uv-mapping and texturing is described in Volume III of my book. At this moment it describes Blender 2.6, but is still useful :).[/SUB]

Are you going to create a bump texture of panel seams, bolts, and other details? In such a case you’d better unwrap this fuselage in a way that you will be able to match it later to the reference drawings (to draw these bump map details).

Excellent point. I hadn’t even thought of that, but yes, I am going to add panel lines, rivets, dirt, scratches and other stuff. I tried once again on my own, and I’m off now to read that section of your book. My method still gets warping and weird texture distortions on the top and bottom, but I’m making progress.

Today, I was planning on updating this thread. I had recently made significant strides in the UV-unwrapping and was just about ready to texture. Just minutes ago, I decided to update to 2.72. Once in 2.72, I accidentally saved on impulse, and since over the weeks I had gotten so used to saving at the Su-25 file, I did it without realizing. In short, due to severe lack of brain power, my Su-25 file is now the default cube. After much swearing, I thought about it, and I Don’t think there is a way to get that old file back (if there is, enlighten me). Nothing from that pre-2.72 session showed up in the recover autosave list, so I think I screwed it…in short, this plane is dead. Perhaps I’ll start over, perhaps not, but for now I shall try and recover it (probably fruitlessly). Just letting y’all know.

Sad to hear that. It was coming along quite nicely.

Look in the directory you saved it in for a .blend1/.blend2/etc. These are backup files that are save I think every 5 minutes.

Checked those, all saved over :frowning:
Lesson learned, saving all future projects to Drive and Dropbox.
Normally I’d be really pissed but that won’t do much. I have other projects in the pipeline anyway
:frowning:
If its anything, I learned a LOT about UV unwrapping on this plane. Next time it won’t bog me down so long.

That is true. Check you tmp directory. Should be in C or something. If you can’t find it, just google it.

Already checked there, no dice. Its hard to admit but I think the ol’ Frogfoots dead :frowning:

Wow. I’m surprised it didn’t leave any traces behind :(.

This tutorial might be helpful to avoid loosing a project in this way again:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/08/20/using-mercurial-version-control-with-blender-projects/
It’s very long, but I think in the end, it’s worth it.

Thanks man, I’ll check it out

Ohh maan!!! I feel your pain. Sorry to hear that you lost an epic project.:frowning:

Since I lost mine, I not only create several versions of the file as I work on it, but also I back it up on Google Drive and in an external HDD that I have constantly plugged in as backup @ the end of the day…call me paranoid :confused:

One thing’s for sure is not as bad as it seems, because everything that you have learned in the process will never go away! I was so looking forward to have a head to head dog fight…F-16 vs Su-25T :eyebrowlift:

That would be awesome. Two very well modeled vehicles battling to the death! :evilgrin:

Thanks man…
Yeah, I have a whole local server set up, I really don’t know why I don’t use it. Consider all my future blends backed up and backed up again.
F-16 vs. Su-25…someday, someday.
But perhaps sooner, F-16 vs. JAS-39? :eyebrowlift2:

Ohhh sweet mother of Jesus!!! now THAT would be something to look forward to…I’m drooling with the thought of F-16 vs the Gripen :evilgrin:

Thanks @TARDIS Maker, one thing’s for sure it has been an amazing modeling experience so far, I know @sdige will pull through at the end and we will make something happen…either with the Su-25T or the Gripen

You know me too well :stuck_out_tongue: The gripen is a very real possibility! Starting soon. I got some thinking ahead of me.