SubD Modeled an Alternator

This was a project inspired by the real-time and timelapse series of videos made by MX2 not too long ago. I was still very new to this and it took me ages to finish, but was very happy with the result.

The materials are pulled from the Kit Ops Metal collection and the little post-production is done in Darktable - keeping in the spirit of opensource. I’ve found playing with the bloom contrasts the hard metal.

I made timelapses for these projects to give a sense of how I went about things. Looking to make these again.

Watch the timelapse here:

52 Likes

Very nice, very realistic :slight_smile: good work!

1 Like

Hey boet!

Stunning work and thanks for posting a timelapse, it is great to learn your workflow.

2 Likes

Boetsss! Thank you, and I really enjoyed making them. Planning to mix things up soon.

1 Like

Thank you. :smiley:

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Nice renders and great topology! Keep it up with good works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you.

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

top row! woo hoo! Excellent stuff!

1 Like

Great work ! Well done !

1 Like

Great topology and nice presentation!

1 Like

That’s why SubD is a thing of the past. It’s too long. So complicated that it’s irrelevant.
Thank Goodness modern Blender and its best addon developers allow such objects to be created in a daily routine.

1 Like

… no? It’s still in use daily at levels ranging from amateur to studio

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a classic. It will be used for a long time, maybe even forever.
But for such mundane projects it is no longer relevant.
In the Russian market of three-dimensional modeling services you will not pay more than $ 45 for such a model. And this will be a good price tag, a fortune. In the race to the freelance services market, the price tag can drop to $20.
All this means that there is no time for SubD. The model should be ready within an hour.
And a lot of modifications should be ready within a day.

I am writing because I saw the potential. This is not a criticism, the author did a good job.

1 Like

Very impressive work. Great job!

1 Like

A question, were you working from specs? Im not that familiar with alternators, but that looks quite precise.

1 Like

Nice geometry.
Those bevels look great.

The internal copper wire stator windings look good too, your lighting setup with the colored image captures that detail well.

2 Likes

Thanks, Bart.

1 Like