SubD Modeled an Alternator

Thank you. Putting it together in the massing phase was where I started learning about being more mindful about how you line blocks up for the composition when topo work would follow. Ended up starting from scratch after a week of slow progress on the topology. This is the result from the second attempt and it was completed so so much faster.

I see what you mean about the lighting now. Still learning how to do it intentionally :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I got a large amount of reference images and tried to extrapolate where certain pieces started and finished. Mothingā€™s build to scale, aiming for visual proportion. Definitely got some parts logically wrong, but Iā€™m working on reading things better.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you :sweat_smile:

Thank you. :smiley:

Thank you :smile:

Really appreciate the response and insight. I have no illusions about my skill level, and know it changes with time. The most valuable part of the comment for me was the market element. Been on a few gig sites for just over a year and havenā€™t landed a job. Got one response, but it didnā€™t lead to a second response. Of course thereā€™s little to know feedback on the platforms, so you canā€™t know when youā€™re making a ā€œgood adjustmentā€

Now I can be a lot more realistic about the proposals I send and thatā€™ll hopefully yield better results.
Thanks for the great feedback :call_me_hand:

1 Like

It is astonishing that almost all the main body of this thing has been made from a single piece (without booleans). Excellent work! Congratulations!

1 Like

Cool, from the video clip it seemed clear you werenā€™t modelling the internal parts, but still looked like you were going for some level of precision.

Im pretty sure it would take someone familiar with that part to spot anything off with it, the pulley on it really does look right for the belt that isnā€™t shown.

1 Like

Mmm, there are bits here and there of new pieces :sweat_smile: but thank you.

1 Like

Thanks :sweat_smile: working on knowing more about the mediums.

although you are much more talented than me, here is a little tip, you can use checker deselect to select interleaved sections (as in 37:30 you select one face ring->checker deselect->select linked flat faces).
In 2.79 is in the select menu or you can search it in the space key menu, donā€™t know 2.8+

2 Likes

Amazing work man!

Very inspiring!

1 Like

Thanks for that. With the time that has passed Iā€™ve gotten better at remembering some of those commands and mapped some to the quick favourites.