Subdividing faces issue

Hey guys!

I don´t know if this question really belongs here, but here I go. So I´ve been making this (for now) really simple model and I hit a snag. When I select all the faces and hit subdivide (not the modifier), it subdivides only a few and when I try it face by face, it divides one, maybe two of them and for the rest it just adds verticles along the sides). I already tried to look for doubles and everything.

I modeled this one thing (from the same backup file) before and didn´t have this problem.

Here´s a pic of what I mean:

When you subdivide, the face needs to have either 3 or 4 sides. If it has more sides (ngon) you will maintain the ngon but just increase the number of sides that make up that face

Ah yes, thank you, should have known that…

There is one more thing I wanted to ask, though. When I pushed the front side (that made the n-gon) down, merged the verticles and added a verticle to the outer side to basically connect everything and get rid of the n-gons, I found out I had a double edge (one going through the verticles from top all the way down) and ones made between the said verts. W-> delete doubles doesn´t work for that.
Is there a way to find out about these hidden edges/faces or a way not to create them?

This happens to me all the time and messes with almost everything I make…

Ah yes, thank you, should have known that, thank you so much!

There is one more thing I wanted to ask, though. When I pushed the front side (that made the n-gon) down, merged the verticles and added a verticle to the outer side to basically connect everything and get rid of the n-gons, I found out I had a double edge (one going through the verticles from top all the way down) and ones made between the said verts. W-> delete doubles doesn´t work for that.
Is there a way to find out about these hidden edges/faces or a way not to create them?

This happens to me all the time and messes with almost everything I make…

The most basic mesh element is a vertex (singular) and a mesh usually has multiple vertices (plural).

If you create a new edge between two vertices with fill edge/face (hotkey F) when they already share a face, it will create an edge there but doesn’t split the face. Would have to use vertex connect (hotkey J, join) to do that, or the knife tool (K).

It’s possible to get a hint where there are mesh errors by selecting none and then selecting non-manifold from the select menu. Everything that gets selected is a potential problem.

Use screenshots to help you explain what you mean, share an example .blend of the problem. If you describe what you’re doing, what’s it for (still, animation, game, 3d printing, other) and maybe a reference image, people might suggest different ways of modeling it.

Thank you, I´ll try that. Thing is I mostly subdivide either by the modifiers or the subdivide button (maybe if I subdivide edges it doesnt split the face between them?)…

Anyway I´m sorry for the bad grammar, I´ll remember it the next time :slight_smile:

Again, thank you for the tips!

Not sure what is going on there but perhaps the problem arises from doing these subdivisions in the first place. There are exceptions but the structure of the model usually matters. A model consisting of quad faces is readable, predictable, and generally behaves better. That’s why tools like loop cut and slide (ctrl+R), extrude (E), inset (i) are used instead of subdividing individual faces, modeling by cutting n-gons or patching a model together from a mix of random cuts.

Meh. The comment was for more like knowing what the most basic mesh element is called. This would be quite bad modeling support forum if no one told that.

Tutors whose first language is english get that wrong all the time, “a vertice” they call it. Maybe for them it would be more important to learn polygonal modeling basics and train their tongue before they start teaching rest of the world about this Blender/Maya/3ds max/whatever, and about a subject matter that is full of more difficult terms and concepts than that.