Suboptimal Sketchbook

Working on it, thanks a lot :slight_smile: Just started sculpting a beard, currently he is looking like a depressive satanist who has to face something beatiful :smiley: Itā€™s weird how drastically some hair can change the impression of a character: Before I only thouht of him as one of the humans for who the cup is always half empty rather than half filled, but now he starts to shape. Love the metalhead approach!

Screenshot for today:

Fixed the neck area a bit (please tell me if itā€™s still wrong), added ears, tried some different sorts of facial hair, just proxys that I will replace with properly sculpted ones once I decided for a concept, which is kind of hard :wink: Todays work turned out as a hipster, who is probably annoyed because the weather ruins his overexposed, retro-style selfie or something like that.
I looked at a lot of photos of metal band members and decided to grow him dreadlocks, since they are quite a challenge to create.
Yet I found a way to make these with the power of the particle instance modifier, more to come.

How did you get the wire renders for the shoes? The opengl wire renders donā€™t cut it.

Itā€™s actually just a simple Cycles ambient occlusion material with an opengl wire render multiplied on top of it :wink: IMO some black outlines around the individual parts would have been nicer but it was too time consuming to set up a Freestyle scene so I just left it like that.

Thought imidiatly of a hipster ( befor reading your text ). Very nice ā€œupgradeā€ :slight_smile:

Thx :smiley: i am feeling more and more attached to my charachters, so I think this would deserve a nice background story. Maybe this time i manage to actually get this guy to lifeā€¦

Hair is more difficult to pull of than I thought :wink: With DynTopo it always happens to me that i block in forms with the clay strips, then polish it because it looks too messy, carve in detail, clay strip againā€¦so I will probably do the final hair with multires.
Initially, I wanted him to have long curls, but it just didnā€™t work out for me with mesh hair.
Now the time of the decision has come: Hipster or Ponytail?

LOL ā€¦ both seem equal good to me :smiley: . Dont wanna be in you shoes making that decishion. ^^

Great looking sculpts! Thanks for the feedback on my WIP. I like this newer beard more. He somehow reminds me a bit of Lincoln - how Id imagine him looking at 30 years old in mid 80s. xP
The neck muscle (with the long name) is bugging me a bit. Perhaps try to change the shape of that - thinner at the base.
Other than that, keep it up. :slight_smile:

Thanks Alin, you guys make me want to go on :slight_smile: I fixed some things that bugged me (thanks for the advice on the neck muscle, hope it looks better now!), for example the ears and the nose. Hmmā€¦Lincolnā€¦that would be a nice concept. The problem is that I like the newer hair version better myself, but I dont know what that character could become. I mean, to make the hipster, I could just give him a beanie, maybe some tatoos and an old camera and call it done :wink:
Actually I wanted to be finished with retopology by the end of the weekend, but wellā€¦ I probably I shouldnt spend that much time watching Doctor Whoā€¦

You cant actually spend too much time on watching Doctor Who ā€¦ this is impossible :smiley: ^^
But anyway back to the topic, i would fix the neck like this and give the back of the head a little more volume. ( Put this picture in one folder with the original and switch back and forth between them to see what i changed. I made a animated gif earlier but the forum wont allow me to upload it :wink: )

Cant wait to see him retopod and maybe with a texture :smiley: :wink: ā€¦ keep it up mate :slight_smile:

Now THATS what I was looking for, thanks sumoLondo for taking the effort! So, i tried to improve it and found a look in a mirror would have prevented so much hassle :wink: It did not work out as well as you painted tho, I didnt get the shapes right - probably I should just retopo and multires instead of fighting Dynamic Topology to produce a polished, even surfaceā€¦I escpecially dont like it that much when sculpting long, cylindrical forms without much volume. So again, no screenshot for today because it was rather regress than progress :smiley:
But I had this idea today when I saw a picture of these Obama election posters that I could try to replicate the threetone look and make him stare into space sorrowfully, maybe with a writing like ā€œMOTIVATIONā€ below. What do you think?

I never thought retopology could be fun or, at least, relaxingā€¦But this time, it actually was that way, though I ended up with much more polygons than intended (~1,8k faces):

Now comes texture painting, hair retopo, and the final decision what to do with him :wink:

This is a very cool character, suboptimal. It is interesting to see the various incarnations of him; they are all worthy in their own right. Honestly, I feel that the design of the character is strong enough to support an animation. He has an intensity about him that is undeniable. Great work!

Your other works are also very cool, I can see you making great progress in your skills.

Excellent retopo mate. Retopologizing is fun in Blender in any other 3d app its not ( imo ) ! This is one of the real stength in blender, being able to sketch up things quickly and build an excellent quad shape ontop of it ( with the right edgeflow ). This is a great workflow.
Once again awesome work and i agree with James about the progress throughout the thread ā€¦ keep it up :slight_smile:

Thank you guys! @James: I never did a short animation before, so it would be a nice thing to try. But honestly, I doubt that I would have the patience to actually finish it :wink: While Iā€™m working on something there is always something coming to my mind that I consider better, so when it takes too much time I just quit that project (dont know if you
could call this progressā€¦xD
I truly admire your vfx shorts, good luck with that current one, the gun texturing looks awesome so far!
@Sumolondo Yeah retopology is easy to do in blender, especially compared to zbrush when you have to do it manually, but I dont particularly like multires sculpting in Blender because of the performance problems, at least at my pc it can only handle ~750k polygons smoothly, it doesnt support matcaps that well and brushes like polish with autosmooth enabled are also slow. But anyways, it works :wink:
Today I finished the model and started blocking in some base skin colors.

Texture update:

Handpainting these is enjoyable as hell, this article (awesome artist btw) inspired my to give the style a shot .
Since I cannot paint well in Blender itself because of performance issues I use Krita this time and am very content with the software: The brushes behave more natural than in the GIMP, it has features like clipping masks, filter layers and so on that make it almost equal to PS.
Please tell me what you think about the texturing so far, Iā€™m not quite sure if it fits the overall style of the charachter?
The chest kind of looks odd now, but hopefully that will change when I come to paint this part.
Now, I mustnt abandon this poor guy at the same stage where I left his ancestorā€¦Not this time, I promise :wink:

Ps: Does anyone know how to get another thread icon to work?

HaHa ā€¦ its still getting better and better.
To add another thread icon i thnk you have to edit your first post add the picture ment to be the icon and move it into the first place ( im not 100 % shure about that though )

I like, it def got a disney/pixar-ish feel. good stuff dude.

Nice to hear that, cartoony-pixarish is what iā€™m striving for :slight_smile: I decided to enter Andrew Priceā€™s competition with this guy, so my goal for now is to make a full body out of the bust, going with the ā€œhipsterā€ approach:

(Take a look at these painting skills and be awestruck!)
Although I do like the individual parts, I think the colors donā€™t work well together at all. Any suggestions?
If you have ideas for some other accessory, tell me, please (heā€™s not ridiculous enough yet)