Substance Painter - height map issue


(Pottsie) #1

Hi!

I have a wheel object that was textured in Substance Painter. It contains an ID map to mask off the outer wheel and hub cap. So the outer part is a kid of worn plastic, and the hub cap is chrome.

But after applying the images in Blender, I found that the height map is “crossing over”(??) from the tire onto the hubcap. In Substance, I didn’t have the height channel activated for the chrome portion. Only the outer wheel. So I don’t know why that texture was included on the hubcap portion of the height map

I wasn’t sure if this would be something I needed to configure in SP, or just handle in Blender. I guess I assumed that the masks would be, I don’t know, applied…?

File is attached. FYI, I’m well aware the topology sucks. The mesh was converted from a NURBS model.

wheel.zip (4.7 MB)


(ajm) #2

Technically Blender doesn’t use ID maps but rather alphas, so I had to hack this together to get this to work. I would think that this would get harder with the more colors you use for the map on complex models.

I don’t know if this repacked the textures or not. Sorry if not.
wheel2.blend (4.1 MB)

Had to re-upload since my first fix was wrong. The height map should only be affected now.


(Pottsie) #3

@ajm Thanks! I’ll try it out.

Sounds like I’ll just need to handle in Blender then. I don’t know why the height output map in SP would bleed over into other areas of the UV map. Weird.


(ajm) #4

Not sure either. I haven’t had the problem before, but maybe the height map wasn’t updated somehow in SP. I would be willing to check, but if you’re using the most up to date SP I might not be able to open it in my version. I think I would recheck the map there and see what happened. Maybe a layer mask wasn’t working.


(Pottsie) #5

@ajm Here you go. Anything you can figure out would be much appreciated.

File’s too big. Just put it on the cloud.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NOFfpMT6WLJeni9ySivzikS-Ir8u2K1k


(ajm) #6

I looked at your SP file and found that you did nothing wrong…for the majority of other apps out there. In the height and normal channel these areas that are not supposed to get the surface, they are left transparent on the map. The combined height+normal map in SP shows that it’s fine and iRay renders correctly, so would many other apps. However, recently in Blender, I have noticed that it is viewing transparent areas of maps as being white for some reason, thus applying that surface where there should be none. I was banging my head against a wall with this same problem months ago while making a label and the alpha wasn’t working correctly, at first thinking that I saved in the wrong image format, but that wasn’t the case. I had to fill the areas that I didn’t want with black and then things worked out. You may have to try to fill in the mask with black in the areas you don’t want the height to appear so Blender doesn’t make assumptions. This may be a bug in Blender, but the workaround should work. Let me know how it turns out.


(Pottsie) #7

Thanks for taking a look!

Ugh, that’s annoying. I guess it’s the price we pay for having nice things. We can’t have it too easy I suppose.

Your solution seems to work though. Thanks again for setting it up. I’m going to keep it handy for sure.