SubSurf. Set Smooth. Set Solid. Surf Sit... Sub Salad...???

Hello. :smiley: Nice to meet you, and here’s my delima.

I’m trying out a tutorial making a simple person. It tells me to select the person, go into Edit mode, click SubSurf,and my person should have smooth edges. Well, it does… on half of its body. :-?

Then when I click on Set Smooth, nothing happens. Set Solid? Nothing…

At first, I thought it was because the Set Smooth button would not remain “pressed”, but I had other buttons that worked the same way. If there is supposed to be a visual difference when I click on Set Smoth, it’s not happening.

What small, obvious detail have I overlooked?

Yes, I’ve tried to search the knowledge base. That site won’t work for me. Maybe it’s because I’m using Firefox and not Maxthon… I’ll see if it make any difference, but if someone here can help me out, I’d surely appreciate it.

Thank you,

Could it be that your model consists of 2 mirrored halves? Only you didn’t duplicate them with Alt+D (linked duplicate, all changes on one half will influence the other), but with Shift+D (normal duplicate, if you make changes to one half the other half won’t be influenced). So if you Subsurf one half, the other half won’t be Subsurfed too. If that’s the case you can link them back together:

1. You should first select the half that didn’t get Subsurfed, then with Shift pressed, select the other half too.
  2. Go to the menu in the header of the 3d-window: Object -> Make Links -> Mesh Data. That will link them back together.

And are you sure that you have the model selected when you press Set Smooth? Or you’re in Edit mode and you have no vertices selected?

From your description it sounds like a couple of things may be happening so I have to make a couple of assumptions.

First, I’m going to assume that the subsurf worked/happened (the button will look “pressed”).

Second, I’m assuming that you are STILL in edit mode. If this is the case, Set Smooth only operates on the faces you have selected. Either a) select all (CTRL-A) and THEN Set Smooth, or b) TAB out of edit mode and with the object selected Set Smooth. (b will also let you see subsurf work a little better)

As a last precaution, make sure AutoSmooth (that is the button, right?) is not selected. This may be something you want to have turned on later (and is a whole other can of worms) but it may be preventing you from seeing everything smooth the way you want it.

Hope this helps…

One reason why SetSmooth wouldn’t work (while in edit mode) is because you don’t have any faces selected. Another reason why it wouldn’t show up in design time would be because you have AutoSmooth enabled. This is calculated at rendertime and overwrites your smooth/hard settings depending on the angle two adjacent faces make.

My model consists of simple cubes, one stacked on another, to make legs, torso and arms… and one Icosphere. No mirrored halves.

All vertices are selected. What turns up is:

Left leg is curved, right leg is not
Right arm is curved, left arm is not
Both “hips” are curved
Head is… well, curved

I have no idea why it’s being mis-matched in this case.

TallGuy: All that you have suggested matches what I have tried so far. AutoSmooth is not selected, either. I’ve tried to Set Smooth in both Edit and Object Mode, the object is selected in both modes… still now viewable changes.

RipSting: Does haveing faces selected mean the same as having the whole object selected? Or is it a diff function? I’m still learning Blender from scratch here, and I may not have understood till now…

try removing doubles (in edit mode)

[w]->[Remove Doubles]

i hope this helps

Regards,
~Delta

[!] …Like a charm!! Thanks, Delta :smiley:

How did this function make the difference? So I’d know how to use it in future projects…

I have several things to say on this subject.

Aurura_B:

Great topic title … about laughed my ass off.

Delta:

How you deduced the solution to his problem from what he said … well … it explains why I still consider myself a newbie after some 500 posts. Now, if he (she?) had said that there were black lines, or creases, I might have figured it out myself. Now, on the other hand, if this is something that is always good to keep in mind … removing doubles that is … then that is a horse of a different color. I can add one as well. Ctrl N, recalculate normals out. That is a good one to use when seeing similar lines, creases, unwanted curves.

Good job Delta :slight_smile:

Welcome to the community Aurora_B :slight_smile:

Thank you kindly, DYeater. I am a woman, btw. ;8^)

…actually, “creases” have been mentioned to me before, but I don’t understand what they are, nor how they apply to the object. Are they the “lines” between the vertices?

Besides that, I’m still curious as to how “Remove Doubles” made the difference…

I’m curious as well … as to your gender, I just had a feeling :slight_smile:

Simplified explanation: ‘Set Smooth’ works by averaging the shading in edges between faces that are adjacent to each other.

http://mke3.net/blender/etc/setsmooth_why.jpg

The first image are two faces A and B, set solid. The second image is the same, but set smooth. Notice how the shading of the connecting edge is halfway between the two adjacent faces.

Now in the third image, it’s set smooth, but I’ve made another edge, so that there are three faces - the two original big faces, and a tiny skinny face in between where that original edge was before. Now there’s a transition from A to C, then C to B. Since the difference between faces isn’t so big, the edges are closer to their adjacent faces’ original shading. As that middle face C gets smaller, this effect is exaggerated and exaggerated, until the face C is so infinitely small that the vertices are actually sitting on top of each other. That’s likely what you had in your mesh, and removing doubles got rid of that middle face, leaving just an edge in its place, like image 2 again.

Having “doubles” is where you have two vertices that are in the same location. Because they are so close together it would appear that there is only one vertex. And simply having vertices close to one another does not mean that they are connected. Removing doubles merges the two (or more) vertices into one. This connects the faces that they were apart of too. So… Now that the faces are actually joined it can apply a smooth shading between them.

I’m assuming you had doubles because you created separate cubes for the individual body parts and then moved them close to one another. I would recommend learning the power of subdividing and extruding. This would most likely speed up your workflow and negate the need to remove doubles.

Does anybody know a script for a better setmooth?
Setsmooth (in object-mode) makes everything smooth, even the planes connecting with 90 degrees. Is there a tool for simple smoothing using a maximum-angle for using unsmooth?
I have written a stl-converter for povray in the past, and this uses such a value. Was a lot of work, but is there something comparable for blender?

Greets
Hartmut

Wouldn’t that be exactly what the button Auto Smooth in the Edit buttons does? Hover above it with your mouse and you’ll see a description; I think it’s what you’re looking for.