Subsurfaces

I recently learned that if you apply a subsurface subdivision to an object and then pressed ALT+AKEY, it will take the subsurfed object and convert it to a new object that has the same amount of smothing as the origional subsurfaced object, but does not have any subsurfacing applied (I hope that I have explained this clearly enough). My question is as follows: which is quicker (i.e. less processor intensive), leaving the mesh with subsurfacing, or converting it to a non-subsurfaced mesh?

Quicker for what? If you mean for rendering, then they’re both as fast. If you mean for displaying, then they’re both as fast. The difference is so small it would never make a significant and noticeable change.

Martin

So they take about the same amount of processor power? That is helpful to know. Thank you.

For RAM, I’m not sure. Logically, the subd version should use more than the “real” mesh, but that would depend on whether or not it stores the same data in the displist than it does in the mesh data. Probably not.

Martin

Well, RAM is not really an issue for me. I may have an ancient computer, but at least I have about 650 megabytes of RAM. I guess that it would be good to leave the mesh subsurfaced if you wanted to be able to make large adjustments to it, but convert it if you had gotten the general shape down and wanted to fine-tune it. I was thinking that maybe it would be a lot easier on the computer to just have a mesh rather than to have to compute all of the subsurface stuff every time that it needed it.

Subdivision surfaces aren’t hard to compute so I don’t thik it will be much of a problem.

Martin

An important thing is you could use the new object in blender’s game engine.

EDIT1: When I press alt+akey, it just plays the animation! What buttons do I use? I use blender for windows.

EDIT2": Oh, you obviously meant "ALT+CKEY.

EDIT3:

What’s a “thik”? :stuck_out_tongue: