Subsurfs or Patches for Car ?

(ZoltarX) #1

Inspired by the News/Chat thread “Car Blueprints! come and get’em” I am consdering starting a car project.

What’s the best method - subsurfs or patches?

I know this has come up for discussion before but either I’m stupid, or the site search engine is a little strange. Probably the former.

Any comments?

ZoltarX

(dreamsgate) #2

At a guess, subsurfs, they seem to get the job done quicker.

(blengine) #3

i guess it depends on how u prefer modeling…do u like using patches(i assume u mean nurbs :wink: )??

me…subsurf subsurf subsurf!!! if blender had loft, then it would be a different story 8) loft rocks…

-chris

(ZoltarX) #4

Thanks for the advice guys.

imgranpaboy, I would really like to order one of your videos but I think we use a different video format down here in New Zealand. :frowning:

Can you reproduce the tape in different video formats? If so, I’ll find out what format we have here.

(dmoc) #5

@imgranpaboy - alright you closet-techno-freak :wink: what is\are “loft”

(shadowman99) #6

ping for later

(drift161) #7

sorry to be replying to a question with a question but I’m trying to get to grips with Blender after using light wave.

In lightwave I’d do this project by importing the blueprints as a background then placing points and then connect them together to form surfaces, if I wanted smooth flowing surface I’d use nurbs (which, in lightwave, only work on objects built out of quads)

I’d like to model this way in blender, is it possible to place single points in 3d space and then connect them into surfaces, and is it simply a case of turning nurbs on/off for each surface.

If anybody could point me at a tutorial for such a project or just give me a quick explanation of there preferred method of how they’d start that’d push me up the learning curve quite a lot.

Thanks.
Paul.

([email protected]) #8

Hi drift161,

you can assign the blue prints to planes using the uv editor and
“Alt +Z”(much faster then a backround pic)

here`s a tut that might help (using back round pics):

http://vrotvrot.com/xoom/tutorials/logoTut/logoTut.html

is it possible to place single points in 3d space and then connect them into surfaces:

Add>surface curve, then select the last point on the curve and
hold “ctrl” + left mouse button.
you can do this as a poly by deleting a vertice from the corner
of a plane and “ctrl + LMB” the last seleted vertice in the line.

is it simply a case of turning nurbs on/off for each surface.

once you convert your surface to a poly(Alt + C), you can`t
change it back to a surface again.

hope this helps,

dale

(OTO) #9

Hello ZoltarX
Check this tut here:

http://capsulemag.chez.tiscali.fr/blenderlab/tutorials/tut-1/tut1-1.html

Maybe he’ll help you
Bye
António

(yann) #10

Blender does have lofting for surfaces. While editing a Surface object, select several Curves (edges of surfaces works fine) with the same number of knots, and hit f.
The only way I know of to make sharp edges and flat surfaces in a Surface object is to use knots with no distance in between; that is, select an edge, hit e to extrude, hit Escape to abort the moving of the new knots. Then extrude again. The 0-distance extrude will cause a sharp edge; doing it again will give you a flat face.
I think S-meshing can not be selected face by face for a mesh, but “Smooth”, which is a procedural bumpmap (blending between normals) can.
Creating faces and edges in mesh editing is also the f key. Just select multiple vertices and hit f. There can only be three or four vertices in one face. Shift+F can create multiple faces but it may not do what you expect.