suburban house

house from a local residential area, made from a single reference image, the plants are from plantstudio and the meshes are pretty heavy so i done two renders and composited them in photoshop.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/[IMG]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3020/thecooleycv6.th.jpg[/IMG]

i dont think the link is working

ok i think i’ve fixed it

to start with the brick texture is good, its the best part of the picture, apart from the side of the building which looks like it needs some work

the grass is uniform, even for suburban well cut grass, but generally looks good.
the road looks fine but just lacks a bit of detail, same goes for the pavement.
where the paving stones meet the pavement they look blended together

i see youve put reflection into the glass, but having more objects reflecting in the windows will make it look better, this will probably involvde using objects out of the cameras view

flowers good, drive way good, trees good but all look the same

the roof not so good, they look too dark, almost like solar pannels

overall its a very good effort but id recommend you to keep working on it
im sure you can improve on it

animal, thanks for your comments, i think you’re correct in all your crits, although I don’t think i’ll be doing anything more to this scene, i am planning to do a larger street scene including another house type i’ve made so i’ll keep in mind your suggestions for that project.

lol nice lil houce u got there

Although you say your doing no more work on this one, i have a few comments.

On the whole it’s a good start.

Proportions to the various elements of the house seem way out, like front gable too narrow, roof over splayed bay far to steep, dormer over sized. But that’s looking at it from an architectural pov.

As a model and render, comments are:

Windows need a little bit more modeling to make them more believable. Perhaps just adding mullions and thicker frame to perimeter of the opening would do it, especially on the bay and opening casements.

Gutters are in the wrong location, they should be at the top of the facia boards not the bottom. (The rain off the roof would miss the gutters totally where they are.)

Roof slate texture is wrong horizontally, slates would overlap.

Side elevation brickwork mapping is wrong.

Good attempt at pavement and kerb.

Lighting feels a bit off, not sure where the strong shadows coming from bottom right corner. Sunlight seems to come from top left but shadows from some of the trees seem to be missing. Sky feels too intense and unrealistic.

Grass is ok, but seems too thick.

Have you tried rendering it with Yafray using a hdr, (skydome) for lighting and soft shadows along with one yellow tinged spot for the sun?

Very nice render! But deffinately listen to the advice given above, and try to make it better.

Good Work
Cuby

Thanks for comments and crits guys.

I would add that you need a bump texture (a black and white picture mapped to normal) for your brick pattern, so that it indents where there is mortar, and speckles the surface of the brick. Look for pairs of textures, like brick_col and brick_nor. Failing that, just apply a cloud texture to introduce variation. Right now, the walls are too perfectly flat.

I would add that you need a bump texture (a black and white picture mapped to normal) for your brick pattern, so that it indents where there is mortar, and speckles the surface of the brick. Look for pairs of textures, like brick_col and brick_nor. Failing that, just apply a cloud texture to introduce variation. Right now, the walls are too perfectly flat.
Take care with bump mapping such as your brickwork, it adds to the render time and for very little improvement on an image such as yours above, where the building is set back in the view and near square on, sure for closer up work look to use bump mapping but first just look for a more believable brick map, either from a commercial texture company selling seamless tileable textures, take care with some of those, tiling can still be prominent. Or try somewhere like http://mayang.com/textures/ and have a go in Photoshop or the Gimp at creating your own tileable textures from photos. There’s some good tutorials on that on the web for that.

You may do better comping your house into a photo rather than modelling / texturing everything including the site and if you’re looking to do it commercially, the site will already exist, you could get some good shots with a decent camera from view points of your choice to show your building model / render at its best.