such nobish help --> text in game

Sry guys but anyone tel me why text does not show up in game?

Hello
Be more precise please!
Are you talking about the text object ( Add->Text) in the menu
This one don’t work in the game engine, unless you convert it to mesh
Not recomended, too many polys
Are you talking about the “special” game engine text
The most common error ( 3,987,768 posts I guess :slight_smile: ) is the wrong property name
It must be Text and not text
Or you’re looking your text object from the wrong side ( back)…funny too :slight_smile:
Bye

TO sum up what OTO said, at your level, the best way to make text show up is to create the text as you usually do, then go into object mode and press ctrl+C it will convert the text into a curve. Press it again, and you make the text become a mesh. Now, when you press play, it will show the text. If it looks chopped up, select the text, go into edit mode, select all the vertices, and press ctrl+N.

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as ruckus37 (the text [ADD->Text] renders with ‘F12’ but doesn’t appear in game mod).

the best way to make text show up is to create the text as you usually do, then go into object mode and press ctrl+C it will convert the text into a curve. Press it again, and you make the text become a mesh. Now, when you press play, it will show the text. If it looks chopped up, select the text, go into edit mode, select all the vertices, and press ctrl+N.
Ok I tried that but when I do ctrl-c (my text is selected and I’m in Object Mode) nothings happens except a “Copy attributes” menu showing. What should I do now ?

Are you talking about the “special” game engine text

Sounds cool, how can I make one like this or where (URL) can I learn about it ?

In fact it looks like its Alt-c instead of Ctrl-c on my box,

I converted the text objet in curve then mesh but I still don’t see it in game mode :confused:

Ok it works only by giving it a thickness through an extrusion (B selection, E extrusion).

Since its quiet heavy I’m very interested by the Text “for game” if anyone have a link or an explanation, thanks.

Hello

old tut, maybe useful:
http://otothecleaner.free.fr/tutorials/Flipper/flipper8/pinball8.html
Bye

Like OTO said, don’t use a mesh text object in the game engine (add>text), for a couple reasons. 1. Again, like OTO said there are a collossal amount of polygons on the text mesh, and having that amount will damage the number of frames that can be displayed per second, creating Lag. 2. If is nigh impossible to make that text interactve, which renders it virtually useless, except as a static object (like the sign over a hotel). Go with the GE text.

Remember, when you name your property, MAKE SURE it’s “Text”,not “text”

Try here.
http://www.blending-online.co.uk/8501/17001.html

Also on this site there is a repository of different fonts.

The link posted by Dim is one of the better tutorials around on the subject, so follow it “precisely” and your “in game text troubles” will be over.

To convert blender text to curve and then to mesh, you must use [ALT]+[C] in both cases. However using that text in the BGE is not recommended, because of all the extra polys, and the fact that this text won’t be dynamic.

That said, all the information you guys were asking for here was already in the tutorial sticky (the thread at the very top of the forum).

Please remember to:

• Search the stickies first
  • Search the forums second (if need be)
  • Then ask a question (if you couldn’t find the answer on your own)I mean seriously, that’s why the stickies are there in the firstplace, so that we don’t have to post the same exact link for all the 10000 times that this question has been asked.

On that note, someone should update the tutorial list.