Suggestions please

(C_Campbell) #1

This is a warehouse environment for use in a movie. how can I make it appear more lifelike?

the boject in the center is obvious problem, it looks like it’s not part of the scene. I think it’s missing shadows.

Edit!
The pipes in the cieling could have a little bit of rust on them. This is true even if they are painted. It’s because the alloy would be low grade, and they would have moisture on them often.

For a busy warehouse, I think the floor would have streaks in it, from moving heavy objects on it. These marks seem to be permanent even if the floor gets buffed.

(C_Campbell) #3

Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

(jastreich) #4

Everything is too clean so it gives it that plastic CG look. To add realizism, you need to make things less perfect, dirtier, rustier. The oil drums shouldn’t all be the same, some of them would be dented and/or have peeling paint. The floor would oil spots, drag marks, foot prints, etc. The fire extinguisher would have dust on it. The I-Beam would have rust on the base espeial around the bolts. Look at photos of real lived in places with these features and see how they weather and wear in real life.

(Photox) #5

lifelike, or realistic?

(BlenderWillie) #6

To me it looks as if the lighting does not focus the attention on the ground. It seems to spread the light to the ceiling.

May be it should be more spot like. And one or more of them should point on your main object.

(C_Campbell) #7

spot on, I will address this!

(C_Campbell) #8

I can see what you are saying. I will absolutely add more lighting when I add the actors to the shot. Thanks for your input.

(C_Campbell) #9

Now for something completely different.

So just want to say thanks for all the awesome input. I think the floor make the greatest amount of difference just due to the sheer area it takes up in the image. Here’s all the changes I made.

1. Changed the floor material to an image texture.
  2. Added some dirt to some of the materials: fire hydrant, I beams, barrels. Ceiling (mostly to kill the glare).
  3. Added some storage tanks.
  4. dented some barrels, moved them around a little so the spacing isn’t quite so uniform and took some out.

I think its looking lots better still working on some scrapes.
Thanks again!

(sundialsvc4) #10

Always remember that the eye is attracted to the brightest and the most contrasty part of the scene. The eye then wants to trace a circular path and arrive back where it started. Well, we can easily do that: we take a quick tour of the ceiling, then another one then another then another . . .

"Oops! You say that thereis a Batmobile and an air compressor that you want me to take a look at? Well then, you’ve got a problem, because I’m too busy tracing circles around the ceiling.

But also … light is your very-best friend; use it well, and use it to your advantage. Seriously consider combining BI’s “ray”-tracing techniques with Cycle’s “path”-tracing to create dramatic lighting with a strong sense of directionality. I presume that you intend to tell a story in this space, and you should carefully consider how to use dramatic lighting to further that storytelling.

(C_Campbell) #11

The scene is actually of some men pushing a cart (that hovers) through a warehouse. The cart is covered with a tarp to conceal what is on it. I put some shades over the lights in the ceiling and put some spotlights under them to shape the light.

the rim around the light globe is causing some kind of problem.

(C_Campbell) #13

Yes, I noticed that must be something relative to the brightness of the light the reflection and the caustics is my guess will need to mess with the materials to get it right. Thanks

(3dcgfx) #14

It;s behind the exit sign too… it reminds me of the early Lucas denoising artifacts, I’m curious about what that is :smiley: