Sumo Knight – low polygon character (now with turnaround)

Awesome. Turn downt he spec and harndess. How many faces?

Ya i’m wit papa, drop the spec some. looks a lil plastic.

I really really really really really really like fatty though :smiley: He’s pudge.

What an awesome job with the modelling! (low-poly is HARD to do so well) To me it kinda looks like his body could be a slight bit wider at the very top, but his preportions do work together quite nicely

Thanks,

I have created specularity map, with lower specularity for face and fabris, but this render is without it. Sorry!

The character was made with:

1181 Polygons, 3402 Triangles

I have it cut to smaller pieces and I have added some details with multires (for normalmap generation. Then I collected the normal map parts and collected them into one single normal map for the whole character.

I have it rigged with my Einsteindwarf armature (featured in Blenderart No 15)

I have plans for some props for this character (shield, axe) and some animations, but they’ll have to wait for some time. Stay tuned!

Riste

Hey Riste!! This is an amazing work! Well done!!

it might be a little late to say this, but with the spiked shoes your character has very little sole left to stand on. one would think his toes are curled up in the boot or something. I’d give him a little more ground to stand on if I was you- that’ll make it easier while animating too; you wont get the feeling he’s being tipped over too soon.
other then that, I think it looks great.

SumoKnight: low polygon character model (1105 polygons) fully textured, viewed in the game engine of Blender with Axe (152 polygons) and shield (64 polygons). This is “idle” action, so that he can move and not appear totally zombified.

http://www.vimeo.com/1937633

http://www.vimeo.com/1937794

Take a look and tell me what you thimk!

i think a specular map could add to it that special something it seems to be still missing, though specular color would also do good. :slight_smile:

other than that looking good! :slight_smile:

I really like the model riste!

Couple of critiques. Firstly, he’s a sumo knight, so I think we have to see his belly. That midsection of armor would be great for this. This could give the model a lot more character and really turn him into something. Also, I have to say that I’m not a fan of your very saturated primary colors on his costume. If you toned those down some, it would look great. Try kuler.adobe.com for some ideas. Finally, his shield is slightly scratched, but I think you really need to muddy him up a lot more. Add rips as tears, dings, dents, dirt and blood. I mostly agree with everyone about the spec maps, except that I do like that his skin is a bit shiny, because it makes it look like he’s sweating profusely under that armor.

Again good job, these are just my two cents.

TURNAROUND: http://www.vimeo.com/2323003

To finish my turnaround series: Sumoknight - turnarounds are something that never got its turn, so I did three of them in a row !

Beautiful work. I really like how you captured his essence with so very few pollys!!! Nice to see the art still alive!!

the only thing I would have suggested is sculpting the high poly model with a bit more details. Its not immediately apparant from the screens posted that hes uses normal mapping.

Great work though.

Concept and model look great, but the textures look a tad funny (i’d spec map :D) and the idle animation isn’t really idle. He’s quite active :slight_smile: Also, the axe doesn’t really look sharp, and looks more like a toy, but this is about the sumo. I highty recommend this tutorial: http://www.pioroberson.com/tuts/tut_texturing_tricks.htm This tutorial is stunning and complete, start to finish. Just takes a little adjusting to modify all the terms to ‘gimp friendly’ ones :smiley:

Good luck

@ Tea Monster: Thanks, I think that details are more visible in the untextured renders on the turnaround.
@ Sammaron: Thanks for the grat tut link! Part of the plastic look comes from the specularity, but Blender tends to make everything highly specular (even at the lowest settings). I do hope that 2.5 will have better organization of the materials panel, because I find it very cumbersome and complicated. About the action: I actually animated only the body. His face has blenk expression.

I agree about adding a specularity map.

Also, I think the armor doesn’t look quite Japanese; it should probably be in the “lamellar” style, which consisted of lacquered scales and iron plates bound together. What you have right now looks more quasi-medieval European fantasy (at least in the concept sketch, the actual model seems to have changed quite a bit).

–Ben

@Ben: I agree about the armor, however it wasn’t intended to look japanese at all. Quasi medieval european fantasy is my piece of bread!

Some seriously nice work!