Sun position add on not working in 2.77

One of my favorite add-ons, Sun Position, is not working in 2.77. Should it be? Is there any info on this? Is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks for any clues

Thanks, Burnin, but none of that worked. Meanwhile, I discovered a simple way to line up the Blender sun with the photo sun, so I can live without the add-on.

Hi John. What´s the workaround for that?

Sorry, I didn’t see this request for info until now. Here are my notes to myself. Best of luck.

SUN FINDER

LOAD AN EQUIRECTANGULAR PHOTO IMAGE AS ENVIRONMENTAL TEXTURE

ADD SUN TO SCENE,
SET SIZE TO SMALL, BUT NOT ZERO (.05 WORKS WELL)

CHECK “MULTIPLE IMPORTANCE”
(WHICH IS NEXT TO SUN SIZE SETTING)

MAKE SURE SUN HAS NO CONTRAINTS ON, SUCH AS TRACKING

MAKE SURE SUN LAYER IS ON IF SUN IS ON A SEPARATE LAYER

ADD A SPHERE, MATERIAL = GLOSSY, ROUGHNESS = ZERO, SMOOTH SHADING

MAKE THE SUN INTO A CAMERA (SELECT SUN, CTRL 0)

SWITCH TO CAMERA VIEW (0)

MOVE THE SUN CLOSE TO THE SPHERE

VIEW IN RENDER MODE WITH “LOCK CAMERA TO VIEW” (IN ‘N’ PANEL)

YOU WILL SEE BLENDER SUN AS WHITE DOT SEPARATE FROM PHOTO SUN

WITH MIRROR SPHERE SELECTED,
ROTATE AROUND SPHERE UNTIL BOTH SUNS LINE UP

LOCK SUN ROTATION (IN N PANEL)

SWITCH BACK TO REGULAR CAMERA (SELECT CAMERA, CTRL 0)

FROM NOW ON, ROTATE ENTIRE SCENE (BUT NOT THE SUN) ON Z AXIS TO ADJUST SUN/SKY COMPASS POSITON

0.1 for size? I tried to setup a mirror reflection and match known angular size (sun disk only), and I came up with 0.0046, and I found some others that seems to back it up. Ref this a couple of threads below.

CarlG,

My sun size is for viewing the sun disk during line-up, not for accurate sun-disk size. Attached JPG shows the two suns still not aligned, so you can see them both.

Now that I look at it again, though, I think .05 would be a better fit. I have edited my notes above.

Attachments

Ok, I see. Thanks. A red dim sun might separate better though for this purpose, maybe?

I actually did that at first, but found it unnecessary. If the blender sun is large enough, then you can use the rays of the photo sun to center it perfectly. You don’t need the extra step of coloring.