Sunday morning

With or without characters ? Whether or not to include characters in my 3D interior architecture scenes is a dilemma. Generally we don’t put anyone to allow the viewer to project himself into it. But i also like to show the life of people living in here…It tells a story. Like this young couple, eating croissants while drinking their tea, a sunday morning in their living room …
Projection or identification? I just want to tell stories…

Made with BLENDER 2.92 / CYCLES
For the characters, i use the ADDON HUMANGENERATOR
For the fabrics, i use MARVELOUS DESIGNER 9.5

13 Likes

Hi Christian,

This is very nice. I do like both with or without but if you include a couple, (imho) to make it more realistic I think they would be sitting next to each other (or at least closer). Unless, you want to convey they don’t really like each other that much.

Thank you for your message. Your are right. it looks like there is a distance between them. She seems to be an intellectual person, with art books and he is on is cell phone … Are they really in harmony?
May be i’m thinking in a wrong way. I design an interior and after i put characters in it to enhance my interior. But I have to do the opposite. imagine characters, their lives and build the interior that corresponds to them.

Your opinion helps me a lot.

Hi Christian,

Glad I could help. Your modeling skills are very good. I also think (imho) it depends what the objectives are for your renders. If you want to show your Archviz skills then yes do your standard interior/exterior scenes. They are very nice. But if you want to tell a story then by all means start from the characters and build around that. But don’t limit yourself to just that. Sometimes anything in your scene could trigger a story or a “moment”. For example I think this couple would be sitting around that coffee table with their tea and croissants and staring into each others eyes. Just enjoying themselves and their brand new place! I find the story part is the hardest part to get across well. Sometimes it works sometimes not. But it’s fun trying. I myself am a beginner so it proves difficult to do at times.

Good luck, stay safe and happy blending!

Hello
Sometimes, the story is more authentic without the characters, just with the objects and then these are the objects that tell the story. If i put characters in the scene, then there is another dimension more important than the story-telling : the character psychology. Their attitude, clothes, style, their eyes… can express something else than what we wanted to say. That’s what i understood in our chat. A character is not only the modeling of a man or a woman. It’s giving life to a scene.

You got it. In essence: it’s about the story. In this kind of Archviz render, you need to tell the story with the minimum number of extra elements.

In your scene, the man adds little. You could delete him, put two cellphones, coffee cups whatever on the table, and just suggest his presence, for example.

Edit: these guys have a very successful example, similar to yours…
https://blenderartists.org/t/refurbished-house-project/

First thanks for your message.

Saying as much as possible with as little as possible? The example you send me from @SublimeSpaces is better than mine because there is a little more drama in his scene. The woman is ready to go but the man is still on his cellphone… Their attitudes, their placement are coherent (coherent? we can say coherent in english? :frowning: )

Hi Gorlim57,

I must say your work is lovely and perfectly stylised, I dont think the point in this exercise is to say that the work we produced is any better than yours, just slightly different. Our clients would not want to see such contrast in the image which is why some may say, our images are too bright, it just depends on the target audience. The only thing that stands out to me in your image is that the people dont seem to sink into the chairs enough as I read the chairs as soft and comfortable, i doubt anyone would perch as elegantly on the sofa as your lady does, the man also looks as if he isnt laid back enough… maybe just adjust them with some proportional editing? Would be happy to pass some work your way if you are interested?

Oh thanks for your message. When i say “better” it’s not to compare. For several months the question of the characters in my scenes is a dilemna. First because it’s very hard to get realistic characters. And after it can pervert (??? i am not sure for this word) the visual. In your case, no question to ask ! The characters are obvious, well in place. But in my case, something is not really natural in their attitude. Howewer the visual works may be it’s better without the characters.
You are right for the attitudes : we must feel the comfort of the armchair, the couch… Mostly for the man. For the woman, i wanted her to be relaxed but able to work on the sofa (withs books and a laptop) befor the croissants break. But the man is too “stiff”…

I really like this interior as well :slight_smile: I think that interiors with people will come back and we have to do our work to achieve nice and realistic “fit with interior” effect. So go ahead with it and let’s make it still better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your support !

Many good comments in this thread.

Of course it depends on what you are trying to show. I love really cluttered “mad workshop” or “crazy professor’s study” scenes. But when producing an image to sell a design, the scene “dressing” can become a distraction. Personally, I think your people are a bit distracting. And yes- people are HARD. But they add life and focus.

So that completely doesn’t answer your original question :slight_smile:

Your english is fine btw.

1 Like

I think that the (human) models added to this shot. And, both are quite believable.

I would suggest adding some fill light to the male character so that he, the chair he’s sitting on, and the drapes behind him are in less of a silhouette.

1 Like

All your messages are very interesting, and reflect my dilemna. I do the following synthesis:

I think the first question is : what is the purpose of the project? Interior design visualization or scene representation?
If it is Interior design visualization, the room is the main subject. If not, the room is the decor, like a theater set. Huge difference!

If the room is the subject, there is two logics for the target of the picture.
Logic 1 is IDENTIFICATION (I identify with the people who live here) and logic 2 is PROJECTION (I imagine myself living here). Subtle difference!

CASE 1 : IDENTIFICATION = yes, i can use characters.
CASE 2 : PROJECTION = no, i must not use characters.
Notice : Design visualization can target quite wealthy people who can afford branded furniture etc. May be it’s subjective but i think that category of “clients” doesn’t need to identify with other persons.

If the room is a decor, like a theater set or a movie set, of course we can use characters.

IN ANY CASES…

• it’s very tough to do realistic characters. the slightest lack and the effect is missed
  • if the character is OK, it’s very complex to set a credible attitude (rigging cannot be improvised in a hurry)
  • if the rigging is OK, it’s not easy to install the characters on the furnitures becaus in the real life, when you take place on a sofa, a bed or an armchair… there is a deformation of the material.

So… it’s not for nothing that 3D is often a team effort.

Sorry for my approximative written english. Hope you understood what i meant.
But it was important for me to do this synthesis because a lot of interesting things has been said by every one.

Feel free to interact. It’s just my vision after your comments :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot !

A last question… Does anybody know good tutorials about separate renderings (the scene, the characters etc…) and loop animations (for example to move the curtains with the wind, to move regularly the eyelids of the characters…)

Thanks a lot

Hi Christian,

Do you mean isolating/seperating rendered objects within a scene to allow adjusting things after rendering? Have you explored the crytomatting features in Blender? For loop anims I’m not sure.

Links are a bit old but still quite informative:

Cheers,
Paul

first, thanks @pxlpaul for your answer.

I have discovered CRYPTOMATTE last month with this tuto : https://youtu.be/Eka75kHHBrA
And yes it’s a very interesting possibility.

For isolating / separating rendering i’m referring to the whole process.
This is an example of what i mean…
You have a room with furnitures and 2 characters.
The 2 characters are chatting, blink their eyes, move your hands…
In the room there is the just the swing of the curtain with the wind by the open window and the spinning (???) or a ceiling fan. Nothing else.
Duration of the scene : 15" ?
What is the best way to render this scene ?

• to separate the room rendering with the characters rendering ? (but there are lighting, shadows etc to respect)
  • to use a loop for the ceiling fan, the curtain…

That’s this kind of process i want to improve.

Christian

What do you mean old, I wrote that article…oh, in 2019, I guess I am getting old^^

Glad you like it! :wink:

1 Like

Old… everything before the pandemic seems to be another era! :wink: