Super 8 fim overlay freebie

Greetings

I have a Super 8 clip overlay for anyone who’s interested, which can be used to composite over a scene or footage in the VSE or compositor. I’d compiled this to accompany a mini tutorial on film clutter effects and used Blender as an example. If you’d like to take a look at the post, then you can visit my site here http://www.chillfactorfilms.com/blog/2011/4/27/film-clutter-mini-tutorial.html

And here is the link to the .blend and clip, as a zip file…
http://chillfactorfilms.squarespace.com/storage/scratchfree/ClutterBW.zip

Just replace that damn dirty ape with your own footage/scene.

If you’re wondering what this will do, well basically it will degrade your footage to look like it was shot in the 60’s :RocknRoll:

The thread title should read Film overlay and not fim, obviously!

Adrian that’s really cool, thanx for sharing.
What I would love to learn though is how these effects (dirt, scratch, lights etc) can be made with Blender using e.g. procedural textures, particles or whatever. That would be more useful than simply adding precompiled effects on the top of a video strip in the sequencer. Not that the latter are not useful but having e.g. controlable plugins or generic methods of producing such effects would be far more helpful.

AdrianF, thanks. I too have some clips I was going to post, Super 8mm recently scanned to 10bit uncompressed YCC. Also that’s a great link on your blog to the Super8 site.

Hoping to use an old Super8 cam this year, but cost of film+processing+scan is rather expensive. :slight_smile:

I use GrainFactory3 for adding grain structure when necessary. http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/upload/0/08/GrainFactory3.avsi it works with the underlying source and is rather good, an Avisynth filter. :slight_smile:

What I would love to learn though is how these effects (dirt, scratch, lights etc) can be made with Blender using e.g. procedural textures, particles or whatever. That would be more useful than simply adding precompiled effects on the top of a video strip in the sequencer.

That would be really cool. I did try a while back, using the texture nodes and creating materials with noise and glow etc., then using these as a projector material. I never got too far with it, but I think given some time, this kind of set up could produce good results.

Hoping to use an old Super8 cam this year, but cost of film+processing+scan is rather expensive. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s likely to get any cheaper. With film stock production dwindling the long term future of film doesn’t look too rosy. There are a few suppliers that do good deals on stock and processing around at the moment, so it’s a relatively good time to get your hands dirty.
There are some very good grain and old movie plug ins. I like mixing up overlay, grading and occasionally a plug in, to get the looks I’m after. But, there is still no substitute for shooting the real thing.

Does this filter automatically insert grainy pictures of fat neighbors in ugly bathing suits at Coney Island? :wink: