Super Smash bros in Blender?

Hey Guys,

First off, please don’t flame me for this. It is just an idea that I have been developing in my noggin.

Now that I have stated that this is just an idea, would it be possible to make a SSB in blender? Would it be legal? I can rip+rig charecters from n64 games quite well. I am also quite good at low poly modding. Would that be legal? The ripping I mean.

I havn’t really gotten into the game engine yet though… that’s why I started this thead.

It would be free. (Of couse)

It could start out as just jump and punch… no items.

If that is fun and I (we) get lots of positiv feedback we could add items, percent and many many many more charecters.

Possibly it could even have online multiplayer?

The main reason that this would be fun would be the ability to create our own charecters.
If that feature had been included in melee…:eek:

The ripping would be illegal. Just think “How would I feel about it if I made a commercial game and someone ripped my models and released a free version?” The age or relative popularity of the game doesn’t change the legality of it.

Now, whether they would sue you over it is a different question. I really don’t know. In general, fan games are allowed as long as they don’t rival the quality of current releases in the series. This is not always the case, though.

It’s a cool idea, anyway. I look forward to seeing your progress if you decide to pursue it.

Nothing fan-made could rival brawl. The upcoming game. Especially when made with n64 stuff. As far as the GE is concerned, I am a complete noob. Once I made a five second game with an Arwing I ripped, but that’s it. I would have to teach myself python etc. Maby I’ll do it. Maby not.

As for how I would feel If somebody would take the time to rip my models… I’d love it! When people start trying to rip ones’ models, then one knows that they are really good.

Unfourtunaly not everybody thinks that way…

Problems I’ve found with making a Smash Bros.-type game:

• The damage %s can’t change colours.
  • Extremely difficult “tap” programming.
  • Anything other than straight up attacks (grabbing, camera, decently-shaped collision sensing, etc).

Ripping, especially models, is not just illegal but evil. If you rip you are 1000X times worse that a hacker. Imagin if you worked on a model that took weeks to make, and someone stole it in a few minutes.

Plus, this is why I am developing the “python seal”. It is not to keep people out, but to keep “the monster in”. You see, this is a special script that seals viruses in my game. Normal python keeps people out of the game. But if the python is turned off, the viruses are released. I’d rather not resort to this, but it seems like this is the only way to teach people like you a lesson.

Actually, your ‘what if someone ripped YOUR models’ analogy is a bad one. Here’s something closer to what you’d be doing if you ripped.

What if you spent ages drawing a picture, then someone traced over it, put their signature on it, and called it theirs.

I get the point. Sorry that I mentioned it. Thank you for responding though.
Okay. I only use ripped modles for my papercraft. Lots of people do that. Never did I use them for anything else. And, of course, I would only use the ripped stuff to get myself going. So that I when (if) the game amounted to something, I would then use my own. And I would never claim them as my own either.

Nintendo fans have been making games w/ripped sprites for ages… (I got the idea for this while playing some Flash Smash) That is why I dared suggest doing the same w/n64 material. I never thought of it as bad. I understand now though… :o

Maby I’ll try to make a SSB clone though… Would I be (allowed) to make my own versions of Nintendo charecters?

edit: If ripping for papercraft is bad I will stop that as well. I never knew… SORRY! Never really put a face behind nintendo games. I will never rip again!

Okay!
Just to prove to you guys (and myself) that ripping is not necessary, I am going to try to make a smash clone. With my own charecters. :slight_smile:
Keep in mind that I am a complete noob when it comes to the GE.
I made a (low-poly) charecter, rigged him, and made two animations for him: punch and neutral. They both start and end in the same position.
How can I make his armature do the “punch” animation when one presses one key, and neutral at any other time?
I am such a noob!

This is what he looks like:

[edit] Okay! That wasn’t so hard! “Man” can walk and punch and fall! The problem comes when I try to make him jump. How can I have him go up only for a short time… not as long as space is held.

Also could I possibly say like: if space is pressed, wait 5 keys then move upward for 10 keys. Do I use python for something like that?
That would really help!
Thank you

Red Yoshi:

1. – For your first question, set up a “ray” sensor (that detects on the -Z axis) on “man”, set it’s distance to that of the height of the center of the object to the ground, then combine that sensor and a “space” sensor to a single “AND” controller. Link that controller to a motion actuator set to +Z axis LinV (set the height of the jump).

2. – For your second, don’t use ipo keys, your character will no longer function correctly (he’ll go through ceilings and such). Create a ‘timer’ property on “man” (name it something), and use the previous set-up with this added (this is the whole set up):

"ray"-------->
"space"------>   "AND" -->   "motion (jump)
"timer>1"---->         -->   "set timer to 0"

For the last sensor, make it a ‘property’ sensor, and change it to interval. Set the name of the property in the text field, and set the first value to 1 (or whatever you want) and the second to a really high number (say, 500). The last actuator is also set to ‘property’, then set “assign” and the value of 0 in their respective slots.

Press the little “D” button next to the timer property and play your game in wirefram view. Check out your little set-up.

I didn’t test that but it should work. Play with it.

~~Stoofer

A while ago someone wanted to make a “Blender Smash Bros,” with characters contributed by the community. But it unfortunately never really took off. It sounded like a good idea though.

Thank you so much! The Q I have now are:

After the charecter jumps (high) and comes down, he can’t jump again because when coming down he reches a high velocity. This velocity makes him (parcially) fall through the floor.

The second is:
Can I use vertex grouops in the GE? Like, can I say “If this vertex group collides with so and so this and the other will happen.”

Thank You

by the way, the “man” can jump now

Also, the only thing that I am trying to do here is creat a working system. The core stuff. Charecters (the fun part) will be created by just 'bout anybody after the core is finished.

No one from nintendo cares if he make a ripoff-wannabe-mariogame, so let he do his game, good tranning for him, and someday he can create his own game… also, u not need to call it “SuperMarioBros”, why not call it something like “Super Wannabe boose”?

I will not rip for any game. I have stopped now. The only thing I rip for is my papercraft. (see my blog)
Also, how could I make my charecter turn? So that he is always facing the direction that he is moving?

maybe you should learn a bit more of the basics, and try something a bit easier before atempting a project like this

My goal is not a giant full fleged game. Just a charecter who can punch another charectrer, jump, and that everything works right. I hope that that is not too ambitious?
Then, and only then will I think of making something more complex. I just want to play with the GE really.

Now “man” can jump (with flaws), do the punch animation, and walk left and right. Sometimes, after he jumps, he gets stuck in the ground.
What I would like to do is say “if vertex group ‘hand’ collides with something while playing the punch animation, then object moves this far Z and this far X.”
I have tried duplicating the hand’s vertices into a new object, but when I give the object a collision sensor it starts falling.

If it would help, I could post a .blend?

Thank you for your support.

RagingChaos66, what way is there to learn the basics but by doing them? In my mind, this is the best way to learn anything, start a full project that forces you to learn it.

Keep it up, i’m watchin this one :smiley:

I couldn’t agree more. That is exactly what I did on the Horse Model and Rigg I just I just finished. Keep it up red yoshi, I like the idea as long as you don’t use nintendo characters;).

Don’t worry, I learned my lesson 'bout copyrights. Could somebody plese answer the Qs from my last post? Thank you for encouraging me though!

I heard rumors that some famous surrealistic painters have done it the other way round. They employed an entire team of “apprentices” painting pictures which they signed afterwards and selling some of them for millions. How would you feel if you bought such an “original”.

If i were a game maker i would do it like John Carmack, supporting the fan community instead of threatening them as it pays off.

I remember when I first started Blender. I wanted to make a Sonic Fan game.
Just as “57r1k3r” and Catboy85 said, it really helps if you set a goal for yourself. A good game can’t be made over night. Well take me for example…

http://images-040.cdn.piczo.com/p5/img/i232608092_42821_5.jpg
(very earily sonic with almost nothing, 5 mouths ago)
http://images-040.cdn.piczo.com/p5/img/i232619088_71653_5.jpg
(current sonic)

…If you never give up, you could create some cool games. If you need help, you could always ask us at the Blender Forums. I hope that you complete your Super Smash bros game.