Supreme Court Copyright Decision

You now boil down the worst of america, and present it as if it was everyone… This is basically what racism is. Taking the worst stories from another ethnicity, race, or religion, and presenting it as the whole product.

4 Likes

The USA is one of the few countries that offers registration at all. But, it’s important because it makes your claim a matter of public record.

If the two of you are just standing in my courtroom, waving your hands at each other and making statements that both of you can’t prove, you’re just not going to get very far. If a judge and jury cannot objectively see what you registered and when you registered it, how can they decide the case? It’s your word against his, nothing more.

If you’re in the business of making and selling intellectual-property works, “that don’t cut it.”

If anyone were so utterly foolish as to attempt to register your work in their name – or to knowingly make a false statement of any kind – congratulations, they just committed the Federal crime of perjury. The bottom line of the copyright form (online or otherwise) contains a warning of just how many hundreds of thousands of dollars and/or how many years in prison that might cost …

if you “Americans” (not all and not just the Americans, it is clear) see reality better, see better that everything is interconnected, and that the separation from each other is a mere illusion, that facts of intuitions that lead to true revolutions are collective facts and not of individuals, or that phenomena like “the butterfly effect” are real, if these legislators had a more expanded consciousness, of how the universe really works, they would get rid of these individualistic cocks for a long time

I just came from the copyright office webpage. Starting march 15 there is a change to the copyright. It looks like the limit for submissions is capped at 10.

Back on topic (pardon my tardiness):

This ruling, as I understand it, does not mean that you’re without copyright unless you register. You retain your copyright no matter what. That doesn’t change. What changes are the damages that you can claim.

So here’s how it works… you, living in the U.S., make a thing and you immediately have copyright on that thing. The Berne Convention still holds true. Now, let’s say someone infringes on that copyright and you choose to pursue legal action. Based on whether or not you registered that copyright, there are two results that can happen if you’re successful in your legal action:

• If you registered your copyright: You can get the infringer to stop and you can claim damages relative to the amount that you lost (and, hypothetically, the infringer gained) from your work. You possibly get a lot of money. You retain copyright.
  • If you didn’t register your copyright: You can only get the infringer to stop. But no damages. You have no possibility to get a lot of money. You still retain copyright.

So it boils down to whether you think it’s worth $35 (plus the legal fees involved with filing suit) to maybe get some money from someone who infringes on your copyright for their own profit.

4 Likes

So there’s that https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/26/tech/eu-copyright-article-13/index.html

Do we know how this is going to affect BA? Or Artstation or any other similar website?

According to some articles, Article 13 in and of itself is vague and how it is interpreted will depend on which country you live in.

The future of the Blender community is most dependent on where the Netherlands take it (as it is home to the BF and Blendernation). The nations have a two year window so it’s very unlikely that BA goes dark before the people of Europe spend many months giving their MEP’s an earful and possibly voting them out.

As I mentioned before, I live in America so my basic internet use is not affected. If you make use of European sites though then yes, it can have an impact no matter where you live.

1 Like

Any chance to move the BA site elsewhere (outside UE)? Would that that help?

BTW: I do hope that between registering the site in other part of the world and use VPN something could be done.

Outside the EU? Would that be Blexit, post-Brexit? :thinking:

The different countries in the EU, as I’ve read, can use this magical thing called “interpretation” to turn a vague law into something that is more palatable to their people.

Since the term “upload filter” never appears in the text and since the Netherlands voted against it, it could mean very limited damage to BA and Blender as they water it down as much as possible.

Now France was a very strong supporter of Article 13 and may make their version a lot more strict, so BA could be spared, but Artstation is screwed.

The Verge has a little blurb on the member states interpreting the details.

My Italian government … has already announced that it will not implement the eu’s directives on copyright.
And anyway I believe that the battle is not over yet, this arrogance is a pathetic low blow of a ruling class that will be fired in May.

1 Like

Modern tragicomedy :smile:

you guys said they can fire then hire new law makers? At least they have this much power. Which I think at the moment, sounds like more power than us citizens have, over law makers. Is it because they vote? I think the EU has a king!