surface doesn't behave as i want it to...

(Keks) #1

Hello. Another novice-question. Please don’t kill me. I tried to model a part of a violin but it turnes out more difficult than I expected. I’m very verzweifelt 'cause i don’t know why it looks like it does when i watch at it in z-shaded. I want to achieve a smooth surface and not some volcanoes…Here’s how i have proceeded: 1. ADD>CURVES>Bezier-Circle, 2. shaping of the surface, using a background-picture as reference, 3. ADD>CURVES>Bezier-Circle, ALT-D three times to cut the four holes out of the bigger circle, 4. Join Objects in EDIT-Mode,5. Extrude once to give the part some thickness, 6. ADD>Lattice u,v,w-3,3,2, 7. deform Lattice
After that i wanted to look at the part and found out it looks strange.
What have i done wrong. I could not find any hints neither in the Blender-Guide nor in the german blenderbuch.
Hope somebody can help…
Thank’s a lot, Gregor
Sorry, I have no(!) Homepage but I do have e-mail(!!). Please feel free :wink: to answer and I will e-mail my file to any expert. :x :x

(rwenzlaff) #2

I’m not sure I understand what you are doing.

You say you ad a Bezier-curve, but say you need to join them? Normally you add a second curve while in edit mode ans skip this, Also, you say you’re extruding. You might mean give the curve’s EXT1 a value, or did yu convert to a mesh at some point and use the E-KEY? And how are you using the latice? Just to make the curve of the top/bottom?

I follow what I think you did and I don’t see any volcanos.

If you did convert to a mesh at some point, you may need to flip all the normal outward. Blender can get confused around the edges of holes as to what is inside vs. outside. (Edit mode, Select All, CTRL-N)

Personally, I would have started with an mesh and extruded that. That way it would be hollow (you get no shadows in the f-holes with your method) anad the holes wouldn’t need to go all the way through. (Draw the shape, shape of holes, Edit-Shift-F Extrude, erase faces in front F-holes, latice deform (or proportinal edit) for curve.

Bob
www.soylent-green.com

(tHe-IcemAn) #3

Your not going to be able to make a violin out of extruded curves with a lattice. You need to get the curves into a mesh first.

(rwenzlaff) #4

It worked for me (though the holes went all the way through.)

That’s why I’m not sure what he’s asking. My guess is he shapes the sides with the curve and just pulls the top into a curve with the latice.

Bob

(Keks) #5

Hello Bob and hello Iceman, thank you very much for your help. I’m sorry for expressing myself confusingly (?). That’s because I posted my message in a little hurry. I had just found this forum and was at that time quite angry about my missing abilities;-).
Well by now I have made some progress with my project. Although it is some kind of try-and-error-learning. Maybe you can remember your beginner’s time and maybe you have had similar probs. I really thank you a lot for just taking the time to read my message and even trying to understand what i meant!
I will try modelling tha part with a mesh.
I’m not talking about the top of the instrument with its f-holes. I’m modelling the part between the violin’s body and the point where the string are fixed. I don’t know how it is called in english…
Thanks again, Gregor. :stuck_out_tongue:

(tHe-IcemAn) #6

That is called the BRIDGE, where the strings first touch, or the TAILPIECE, where they are terminated.
I know violin’s, been playing for many years now.
Have a look:
http://members.yourlink.net/gruff/filez/geno.jpg

(Keks) #7

That is called the BRIDGE, where the strings first touch, or the TAILPIECE, where they are terminated.
I know violin’s, been playing for many years now.
Have a look:
http://members.yourlink.net/gruff/filez/geno.jpg[/quote]

TAILPIECE-that’s it!! So you’re a Violin man!
My e-mail is [email protected]
See you, hear you, read you. Greetings from Gregor