Surface modifier?

I asked on the Basic/Interface forum, but maybe this is out of the scope for that forum. Since I am going to use this in my python script and since I always get replies here, I figured I’d try this forum:

So I have been playing with the curve modifier and think it is nifty. However, is there something similar to that, but works on a surface instead? For example let’s say I have a parabolic surface like this:

And I want to use that as a modifier for a mesh or something? So I could move a mesh along two bottom axi and it would stick on that surface. If I moved it up or down, it would pull away and deform similar to that of the curve modifier.

How can I do that? Would I have to write my own modifier?

You might want to take a look at the existing shrinkwrap modifier.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Deform/Shrinkwrap

Looking at a shrinkwrap tutorial, I don’t think that is what I want. I think I need to do a better job of explaining myself. So the surface is the equivalent of the curve when using a curve modifier. It’s not being modified, it is the guide on how to modify another object.

So imagine taking a cube, subdividing it several times, and intersecting it with that parabolic curve I posted. When applying the “surface modifier”, what would happen is that the two faces of the cube that are closest and farthest away from the surface would now follow the shape of the surface.

Here is another example. Remember these toys?

Ignore all plastic and stuff and just look at the pins. Before pressing his face into it, the pins were all flat, and therefore was in a rectangular prism shape. The picture is what it becomes after the modifier is applied. The “surface” used by the modifier was the dude’s face. I hope this makes more sense.

That is interesting…

However, I wasn’t trying to actually reproduce the pushpin effect. Just showing how a surface would effect a shape under the desired surface modifier.

If you want to do deformations that are always normal to your surface, you can use the “Displace” modifier, however I think that might be a roundabout way of doing what you want.

You want the cube to follow the surface or be deformed by it (or both)?

Ignore all plastic and stuff and just look at the pins. Before pressing his face into it, the pins were all flat, and therefore was in a rectangular prism shape. The picture is what it becomes after the modifier is applied. The “surface” used by the modifier was the dude’s face. I hope this makes more sense.

That sounds exactly like what the shrinkwrap modifier does if you mess with some of the settings.