Surface Sketching script v0.8 Beta

The hotkey script crashes for me here on my winows XP running on my mac (bootcamp). Is anyone else having difficulty loading this?

grsaaynoel: there was a small change in the blender python api recently. On recent builds you need to run this updated hotkeys script:

import bpy

# DKEY+EKEY adds surface.
# DKEY+CKEY converts strokes to curves.

keymap_item_add_surf = bpy.data.window_managers[0].active_keyconfig.keymaps["3D View"].items.add("GPENCIL_OT_SURFSK_add_surface","E","PRESS", key_modifier="D")
keymap_item_stroke_to_curve = bpy.data.window_managers[0].active_keyconfig.keymaps["3D View"].items.add("GPENCIL_OT_SURFSK_strokes_to_curves","C","PRESS", key_modifier="D")

the video looks very interesting

can you explain how install to run theses scripts
i eman do you put the 2 script into one folder and then run the first one
and teh other one will be automatically loaded

or else

thanks

Thanks again for the enthusiastic comments :slight_smile:

If you refer to the comment made at Blendernation, I guess what he meant is that this script is good for doing fabrics. When doing cloth simulation is good to have a topology like the one coming out from this tool (small squares along long curved surfaces). And with this tool it’s possible to come up with a lot of those quite quickly.
The process though would be exactly the same as modeling anything else with this tool.

Something I forgot to show in the video is that you could build a surface directly from curves without doing any sketch. This way you may get more “smoothed” shapes, and have better control of it right from the beginning.

@Crouch
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll put a note on the first post about that change.

@RickyBlender
Is pretty straight forward. Just open the script in a Text area and press “Run Script”, and then open the script with the hotkeys and do the same.

I can not get this to work. I open scripts and alt-p but nothing happens, I cant get the UI to work or show up. any help would be nice .
malcolm
ok I got the ui but still cant get strokes to work. cant get a surface. boes the bg image have to be black?

Eclectiel
THANK YOU so much, eit mode was the issue, but making some random stuff now, Is there a way to not have to keep hitting the draw button for each line? it might be simple i dont mess with the grease pencil much… till today that is. thanks again.
malcolm

Do you know the SVN number of the build you are using? does it giv you any error?

Keep in mind that the UI appears when you are in Edit mode. If you didn’t create an object and enter edit mode for it, the UI will not show up.

i created a folder for these scripts + file
then open a file and loaded in text editor and run the first script
but don’t know if i have to do the same with the second script?

so should i run only the first script?

or should i install all this in the add ons folder ?
right i;n with 995 version

i do get error for no module name socket ?

is this part of your scripts file or a python module ?

do you start the greace pencil from the N panel or the T panel ?
and i guess i have to first create a layer for the first grease pencil stroke too!

Thanks

To do strokes with grease pencil you just ned to press and hold DKEY while you draw strokes.
I’ll put a link to a nice grease pencil tutorial video on vimeo at the first post.

so should i run only the first script?

If you want the hotkeys you need to run the second too. Just do the same as you did with the first one.

Awesome script!

Any suggestions on how to get it to work with curves, instead of using the Grease Pencil? I can’t get the interface to appear with curves. Works great when using the Grease Pencil.

ok got the grease pencil to work on a new layer

now you say that for the second script i have to load it up also and run it to get the hot keys
to work in your script!

is this shown in your video ?

would it be possible to add soem voice in your video
would be easier i guess with voice instructions!

nownis this gong to make it in 2.5 for retopo surface
cause it’s very easy to make surface with this

THanks

so yo say that you need an object in viewport at first

then search it in the Text for tools bar and you activate the surface script and
which appear in tool bar edit mode

i get it now to add a first stroke how do you do it ?
i mean i tried to add a line and cannot get it from the tool panel in edit mode ?

Thanks

Thanks… Yeah, for curves it would work the same way as when converting the strokes to curves. In this case you start with the curves, but after that is the same:

• Select the curve.
  • Shift select the object
  • Enter Edit mode.
  • Select the verts you will extrude.
  • Hit “Add surface”.

It will be good if after you made the curves, they are subdivided a couple of times. The script is thought for grease pencil which gives more points than curves when we do them ourselves. It affects the accuracy of the final mesh result. I guess just 2 or 3 subdivisions will do.

now you say that for the second script i have to load it up also and run it to get the hot keys to work in your script!
Yes, you got it. Installation is quite easy step: Just open the file and press “Run Script”.

Fuckawesome work man! I Hope to see it integrated soon! Keep it up!

By the way, the tutorial isn’t enough detailed for noobs indeed, took me a bit to understand how to continue once the strokes were converted to curves :smiley:

That seems more about how to use grease pencil. Press and hold DKEY while you draw. Check the video tutorials I added at the first post, for grease pencil.

Revolutionary script! Thanks for all your efforts!

Hi , Looks nice :).
But , it’s interesting you can do other thing and not a video that help me with array sketching , well

nice anyway .

Priorities in life… If I do a video tutorial for one person I take away time from my job, and take away time from building this script.

Each of us has priorities and decides what to do with their free-time / motivation. And around here everyone respects those decisions.

In your case, your job also came first instead of doing the model, and everyone respected that.

Thanks anyway… I’m glad you like it.

OK, I updated the hotkey script, I ran both scripts from the text editor. I am in edit mode and pressing D to draw the grease pencil on the screen.

questions(s)

1. How do I get the Surface Sketching tool to show in the tool shelf? I clicked add tools and did a search for surface, all I get is “surface generation from grease pencil” I am assuming this is not the right tool.

2. Can I not install these scripts as addons so it is always active with out me having to run the script every time i start blender to model this way

this is very cool script

Edit: never mind, found it, for those who are confused like myself, the UI is located at the bottom of the tool shelf, just collapse the Mesh tools and mesh options and you will see it.

Edit: Also found out if you set it up as an add-on to load with blender, it crashes blender when you tab into edit mode… just fyi

omg

top lip

jaw

this is amazing

Amazing script :cool: - gotta dig into the code at some point.