Survey for school project

(philian) #1

I have to do a survey for a school project, and since the topic I’m researching is open sourcce, I thought I’d post the survey here. If a few of you peeps could answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: This is completely voluntary, information will only be used for research, yadda yadda yadda :slight_smile:

1. How did you hear about Blender?

2. Why did you choose to use Blender rather than other similar tools, such as Maya or 3DSMax?

3. Would you still use Blender if it weren’t open source?

4. Have you purchased anything from the shop at Blender3d?

5. How do you feel the Blender Foundataion could improve its marketing?

6. What is your occupation?(for demographics, it’s not neccessary to answer this one).

Thnx to anyone who can help me out. :slight_smile:

(D_Money) #2
  1. Searched “free 3d modelling program” on google and it was the 3rd on the list

2. I chose it because it is free and i dont believe in pirating software. And those programs have features i dont need or want to pay for.

3. I would use it it werent open source. I would not use it if it wasnt free or extremely cheap.

4. I havent yet, but i am thinking of getting the project orange DVD because it comes with all the .blend files they used which would be a great learning tool

5. I really dont know, this program can really spread easily on word of mouth and google searches alone. But a little extra exposure in 3d graphics magazines and other media wouldnt hurt

6. I am a high school student living in Canada

(lococobra) #3
  1. I had been working with other 3D modeling/animation tools for about 2 years, and did a search to find it.

2. I actually have a ton of tools that I use, Blender is just the best in my oppinion (most user friendly, and I know it best). The other tools I have (sorted from used most to used least) are:

Blender (with yafray)
Cinema4d
Metaseqoia
Maya
Animation Master 2005
3DSMAX 7
DogaCGA

1. Probably… I dont tend to pay for what I have. (but then again I dont sell anything)

2. No.

3. Advertise to schools as a packaged deal with the blender book and CDs. Then just keep improving the software and charging a small fee for new books.

4. High school student, 10th grade.

(ralphbluecoat) #4

1.got it off a freeware website when i was crazy for them

2.It was free and opensource, and good!

3.well, if it were free, yes.

4.nope, too poor

5.make a TV ad :slight_smile:

6.student

(cerin) #5
  1. I don’t recall where I heard about blender it was most likely on google.

2. Blender just has my kind of feel and interface and since it doesn’t cost any thing and is open-source it has a wonderful, helpful community.

3. If they could make up for the loss of open source updates then, yes.

4. No, I am 15 and I don’t have a job.

5. I think that if we got someone important to look at the things blender can pump out then the endorsement of blender by that person would be wonderful, just so long as they didn’t start selling it.

6. High school student.

(Spin) #6
  1. Searching for a pirated copy of MAYA or Bryce

2. It cost ZERO $$$, And I didn’t want to get caught with an illegal copy of MAYA or Bryce

3. Yes

4. No

5. Keep it the same. Anything else would be down hill.

6. Layed-off construction worker

(DwarvenFury) #7
  1. Heard about it from someone in a extremely basic programing class that I took.

2. Cost primarily, although now that I’ve used Blender, even if I get the money for an expensive tool, I don’t plan on using one.

3. If I could afford it, yes.(And if it was cheap or free to update from version to version since they are released so frequently.)

4. Not yet, I plan to purchase the Project Orange DVD as soon as possible, though.

5. Probably some form of ad…PC Magazine or some computer graphics magazine.

6. High school student.

(Ammusionist) #8

First on a coverdisk in about '99 then in '03 searching for a free 3D game development tool.

1. Why did you choose to use Blender rather than other similar tools, such as Maya or 3DSMax?

Initially cost, but after getting used to the interface, I don’t want to waste time re-learning to do the same things in a different way.
Blender also has a fantastic community that other commercial apps don’t have.

1. Would you still use Blender if it weren’t open source?

Before the Open Sourcedness of Blender, I was using a bootleg copy of another 3D program. It was the choice to use a free product that attracted me away from the less than legal option. If it weren’t OS then I’d probably be bootlegging C4D or something simillar.

1. Have you purchased anything from the shop at Blender3d?

Not yet - I’m waiting until all the new features in 2.4 go to print, but the Orange DVDis looking real tempting…!

1. How do you feel the Blender Foundataion could improve its marketing?

I’d like to see Blender included on more coverdisks, and perhaps making a deal to include it in Linux distros!

1. What is your occupation?(for demographics, it’s not neccessary to answer this one).

IT Administrator for a tertiary college.

(Metsys) #9
  1. Went to Siggraph '99. Got the CD that people were handing out. Couldn’t figure out the software; used Animation Master instead. Got pissed at Animation Master. Read Slashdot article about Blender. Picked it up again and loving it.

2. Price, and did what I wanted it to do (unlike Animation Master).

3. If that meant that it would still be free and it would continue to get features the way it has been, then yes. I wouldn’t have the same fondness for the software though. If it wasn’t open source, our programers wouldn’t want to use it, so we would have to switch to 3DSMax or something similar.

4. No. Planning on getting the Orange DVD though.

5. Educational material would be the best thing they could do. It’s far better for marketing to teach people how to use a product. Word of mouth is very powerful.

6. Motion designer. Web development and other graphic design work on the side.

(Lamoot) #10
  1. I don’t remember anymore, most probably by surffing the internet.

2. It’s free, has a good interface that allows better workflow but it lacks certain tools, this is why i’m not yet 100% on blender.

3. Perhaps, if it were still free, but it would lack a great deal of a development community behind it, resulting in lower quality.

4. No.

5. No ideas, sorry.

6. Student. Doing 3d as a hobby, perhaps later as a job.

(MrMuscly) #11
  1. I think I googled for something along the lines of 3D modelling application, and then Blender popped up.

2. I have only tried 3DSMax but I prefer Blender over that one because it’s much smoother to work with, and because it was easy to find a community for Blender.

3. shivers Don’t do this to me ! Seriously though, I would use it as long as the fee for it weren’t sky high.

4. No, but I’m seriously considering on doing so as soon as I get my economy back on track. The orange video would be awesome!

5. Sorry but I’m not much for marketing.

6. I’m a student (nothing that has to do with 3D though ^^)

Good luck with the Survey!

(dreamsgate) #12

Initially, websearch, all the buttons scared me and I deleted it, Saw it again in 3D World Magazine about 5 1/2 years ago. Been using it ever since.

1. Why did you choose to use Blender rather than other similar tools, such as Maya or 3DSMax?

Cost and user community

Yes, I have grown to love Blender and the way it works, even if I had to save for awhile to get it.

Yes, most of the books, some pdf’s and the Orange CD.

More educational materials, more foundation backed projects Like Project Orange.

1. What is your occupation?(for demographics, it’s not neccessary to answer this one).

I’m a graphic designer/typesetter for a small print shop.

good luck on your assignment. :smiley:

(MassTA) #13
  1. My sister found it a year ago, and half year ago i found it on the harddrive, and since i wanted to try 3D i used it. :slight_smile:

2. The newer versions are easier to download. :slight_smile: And seriously i like its workflow.

3. If it was free - yes. If it was commercial, then i probably switch to 3DS Max, or Maya. Blender lacks some tools, to make it worth purchasing in my opinion.

4. No.

5. Maybe some more cover CD’s, and publish it in Linux distributions.

6. Im from Poland, and 3D is my hobby… maybe ill try to make it my job.

(codebox) #14
    A: some cg portal had the news that there is a free 3d app called blender.

2. Why did you choose to use Blender rather than other similar tools, such as Maya or 3DSMax?
    A: cost

3. Would you still use Blender if it weren’t open source?
    A: If blender was free (without being open source) then yes… otherwise No

4. Have you purchased anything from the shop at Blender3d?
    A: No

5. How do you feel the Blender Foundataion could improve its marketing?
    A: I think its doing pretty good considering a lot of things like a presentable web site, killer artwork (pic is worth 1000 words) and the recently started orange project. they should continue to do all this stuff.

(philian) #15

I’d like to thank everyone who helped me with this. Thank you very mutch :slight_smile:
I’m still waiting to get the grade back on this assignment.

Again, thank you everyone.

(DanBoghean) #16

I searched for Free 3d modelling on Google

Well, I’m 14 years old and I can’t really afford anything such as 3ds Max or Maya

Oh yea, if it were free or cheap I would still definitely use it.

No, I haven’t.

To tell you the truth, I really don’t know.

I’m a student in the 9th grade.

(hydravien) #17
  1. came across while searching for substitute for flash, didnt even knwo about 3d modelling

2. truth betold, i was a little 6th grader with no money. i wanted to model stuff and i hadnt yet gone on my spree of obtaining programs

3. it depends. if i had myself a choice between lightwave and blender, i may choose lightwave because its what pros use.

4. no i dont have money for that yet…

5. make a cg commercial of some sort to air on pbs. get a magazine to review it. ask a show to do a feature on it (daily planet did one on NASA’s earthviewer)

6. student 9th grade pre ib. geek and proud of it