Survey: Would you pay $2.00 for a PC game?

Certainly games by the millions can be gotten for free. What about a game that matches one of your favorite genres? Would you at least pay $2.00 for it? You of course would have played the demo.

(Ace Dragon) #2

The majority of PC owners are more willing to pay a premium for a game than the same in the mobile arena (where even 99 cent games are sometimes pirated).

Many successful indie games have been 10 dollars or more, and people will pay that if the game has enough content or allows for months of play.

(Daedalus_MDW) #3

if its a good game, im willing to spend quite a bit. i often like to spend money on free games that dont shove ads or monetization schemes down your throat.

(3DKiwi) #4

$2 - peanuts. Crikey I’ve got 10 or so games in my cupboard that I paid the equivalent of $30 - $50 US for. Like quality tutorials for Blender that I’m prepared to pay good money for I’m equally prepared to pay a premium for a top quality PC game.

This is great information, and it gives me motivation. What if the game’s artwork was done by an ameture artist, and the game was 2d secret of mana like?

(sundialsvc4) #6

Most importantly, you have to create a business proposition that can actually, sustainably, pay its own way and grow and prosper. To do this, you need to be sure that the potential customer knows how much (in total!) he might be expected to pay, and you must not pepper him/her with advertisements or other garbage.

Famously, the publishers of Angry Birds initially rejoiced that they’d sold 4 million copies of their game for $1 apice. “Four million dollars, woo hoo!” Until that cash was too-quickly burned through, and now they had four million customers who’d paid their one dollar and who never expected to have to pay anything more. They turned once again to “angel investors,” but what, exactly, was their business-model and value-proposition to any such investor? Basically, they didn’t have one.

Build a great game, support it wonderfully, and be sure that you’re actually going to pay all those developers market rate and make a profit for all of your stakeholders. “Under-pricing” is the best way to perish.

I’d say, seriously consider licensing your carefully-copyrighted game to an established company who would be interested in publishing (or, acquiring) it. “Running a successful software business” is damned hard work and most do not succeed in doing it. But, you can partner with someone who did, and collect royalties.

Only for $2.00? Of course! Heck, I’d be willing to pay even $15, as long as it’s a great game.