Suzzane's Caribbean Crazy Ride - short anaglyph (redblue)ani

Suzanne’s caribbean Crazy Ride is an experimental anaglyph (red/blue 3d glass required for depth experience) very short “roller coaster” movie completely created with blender (even textures are just procedural to get an fun “old style” CG feeling)

http://sbup.jyscomputers.com/acarosafari/sccr/

I suggest you to download the smaller version (420x380)

Tip: To get the best depth feeling watching this use red/cyan glasses on an “as big as possible” screen with any other lights off to avoid the reflections (braking depth illusion).

Feedback is wellcome

*Sound isn’t as good as i would like but… that’s just for fun :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: some little screenshots of the ride :stuck_out_tongue:
http://sbup.jyscomputers.com/acarosafari/sccr/pantallas.jpg

That is really cool. Too bad I don’t have the glasses, would have made it even better.

Now, why is the file size so large for only 40 seconds of animation? Is it the effect that makes it so large?

BgDM

Yes, image and video compression algorithm always loose data refered to hue and saturation before the bright data. That’s because human eye works on a similar way, so it’s easy to notice any bright change than a hue or saturation one.

On anaglyph images, hue information becomes very important because trhough the red blue glasses red and blue saturated colors become into white and black…

the fact is that video compression creates lot’s of artifacts on the overlayed image because hue differences are less important for the compressor that brightnes differences… as much compression you get, less sharp depth perception you will get, even if the video looks good without 3d glasses

there is a nice web of an anaglyph guru with lot’s of tips about creating better anaglyphs

http://www.puppetkites.net/

here is the url (if anyone is interested)

Wow, that’s really nice! I can’t wait to get home and see this with 3D-glasses…

That was sweet!!! I wish I had 3d glasses so I could get the full experience, but I liked what I saw anyway. :smiley: Nicely done! How long did that take to render?

It’s nice to see some-one else using Blender for this. I have some experience as well in creating anaglyphs, using Photoshop, using Blender and with Photography as well.

I downloaded the biggest one to try the best result, and overall it’s a very nice result. The sound, animation and 3-d effect work well together.

I would be very curious to see a render using only reds and cyans, because I suspect the result and quality will be higher. Combining this type of 3-d with other colours often give results causing headaches, and this film suffers from this as well, a bit. Besides, a person wearing special glasses do not need to see other colours, because they are blocked by the red and cyan glasses.

Mmm, I feel an itch to go and make an anaglyph animation again…

P.S.: check my site for other examples of anaglyphs made in Blender

victor

aqa: I watched it with my 3D-glasses now and the effect is very nice - I agree with victor about a red/cyan only version.

victor: I produced some lenticular prints with Blender - that was fun. And I visited your website - cool red/cyan 3D-work there.

Thanks in advance for feedback

jts01: it took over 8 hours per each eye at PAL witho osa 5 and non unified render (blender intel optimizied build of course) on a p4 2,4ghz. The cavern&water area was th slowest with a max render time of near 2 minutes. and the palmtree area was the fastest with less than 20 seconds per frame.

Victor: Yes i know that using BW images for channel mixing results on amore stable image… BUT GRAY … i have made lot’s of anaglyphs before doing this one and ijust prefer dessaturate the more “critic” colors as very saturated red (white on left eye and black on right one)… the result is a tradeoff between stable image and chromatic richness… it isn’t as stable as gray anaglyphs nor as colorfull as a normal render… but i find it’s more interesting in this way -subjetively-

nice gray anaglyhps on your web by the way

:o Awesome, where’s my Dino d’augostini book, I thought it included a red/cyan glasses to test that. :stuck_out_tongue: When I’m back at home, I really have to test that. :smiley:

/comment following. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow! :o I really liked that. :smiley: My sister bought the Spykids 3d movie (man that movies sucks) so I borrowed the glasses from that.

I have a question. I am creating a mineride that is similar to what you made, but it goes down a mineshaft. Except my mineshaft is completely cemetrical. :frowning:

Then at the part in yours when its about to go down the long corridor (the third pic of the 4 you posted), I noticed the walls looked really good. With considerable bumps. And it looked like real rocks.

So my question is:
How did you make that?

Did you use a script? Or was it a function in blender.

Thanks. :smiley:

Hey wow, I did too! Yeah, that move did suck…

That was a great short! I loved the 3d! I don’t usually wear 3D glasses because it hurts my eyes, but I HAD to do it for this.

redbyte: The rocky corridor is just a procedural displacement map+ another more detailed nor map… the tip is to get enough mesh density to get a good looking displaced surface…

alll the ground, “rocky wall”, cave and corridor is 1 mesh with subsurfs and 3 submaterials. As the cave and the corridor used a displace map to get detail that areas of the mesh were subdivided some more times to get a good looking surface without unnecessary mesh density on the other parts of the mesh

play with the new blender procedural textures, they are very usefull for some things… all on the short, sky, rock, ground, water is blender procedural (well i forgot to remove 1 texture on the palmtree :-/ )

pd: I think style from cave&corridor doesn’t match the rest of the anim but… i found that rocky surface too good to remove it… so i left it

How did you make it 3D like that?

Yeah thats what I want to know. I wanna make one now. :smiley:

So lets say I have a UVSphere and I want to make it all nice and bumpy like yours.

What steps do I take?

if it’s all the sphere you must just subdivide the mesh enough… try different values with the displace assigned and choose the best one. (high values are needed for displacement maps to look well. use a “soft” (or less detailed and big) map for the displace map because of if you use a detailed one you will need a lot more of subdivide to get displacement looking good

btw: probably you will get a better result if you use a geosphere instead a uv-sphere because of probably you don’t need all that extra points (mainly if all the sphere will have a similar look)

Thanks for the help.

But what is a geosphere?

I honestly have never heard of that. :frowning:

sorry i mean icosphere… The spherical primitive with the same leel of detail on all the surface :slight_smile:

Hey wow, I did too! Yeah, that move did suck…

That was a great short! I loved the 3d! I don’t usually wear 3D glasses because it hurts my eyes, but I HAD to do it for this.[/quote]

Scary I did to

How did you create the 3d glasses effect?

well, here is a little step by step HOWTO to making good anaglyphs and -using blender or any other software- to get full animated anaglyphs

1.- get some 3d glasses (if you buy the srheck 1.5 dvd watch it to learn lot’s of tips about bad anaglyph (it’s mainly colour and separation errors because the the anim wasn’t designed for home anaglyph entertainment.)

2.- search the web for some anaglyph theory and tutorials… get ready to play with gimp or photoshop and render pairs of images.

3.- render scenes with elements near and far away and not too saturated colors (BW is better for starters). you must place pairs of cameras instead of only one. move (some centimeters only) as if cameras were your eyes and you were looking some point in front of you (over 10 meters work fine) so rotate them crossing them slightly, remember…one per each eye ;-). save the pair of images as left&right

4.- open them on your photoed prog and mix the channels (get some tutorials from google)

5.- once you master the still anaglyph tech create your animation in the same way without animating the “crossing angle” between eye cameras (it would brake the depth illusion)

6.- get a free command line anaglyph mixer (i used JAC :: http://www.google.com/search?q=joergs+anaglyph+composer&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official ). Render the both cameras animation and mix the frames using the mixer (jac doen’s works with animations, so i made a ms-dos batch file (.bat) with multiple calls to each pair of images (not manually, i build an actionscript to write the text because it’s the only programming language i use)…

7.- and “boyla” you get an anaglyph image per each pair of rendered files… make an avi, wear your 3d glasses and have a good trip!!!

:slight_smile:

if someone have any questions… just ask.

BTW: i know about the anaglyph sequence plugin on blender tutorial guides but i prefer to do some color fixing to the image pairs before the anaglyph conversion[/b]

aqa: if you would be interested in making a cross eyed stereo ani out of this it would probably only take a few minutes since you already have the r-l renders already done… I made a stereo pair sequence plugin that takes the r & l views and turns them into a stereo pair.

Also, what I have done for rendering my r - l views is to put a camera on the center of each of suzanne 's eyes and angle each one toward each other 1 to 2 degrees(according to the 30 to 1 rule it should be 1 deg each but 2 deg each exagerates a little and make the effect more noticable) - parent the cameras to suzanne and then all you have to do is move or scale suzanne and the cams are automatically set up for 3d renders…this way you can look at the scene and make suzanne’s head the right size to put the scene in proper perspective.

533k xvid:
http://webpages.charter.net/paprmh/imgs/ani6-20259-0281.avi