SVG mesh and solidify modifier question

Hello Blender Heads.

1. I have imported a logo from Illustrator as an SVG file. Ive converted it into a mesh and get tons of lines on it, so Im trying to make it all one face if possible!..

2)Since I want it to be extruded I saw a tutorial saying its a good way to add a solidify modifier to it.
but when I add it the logo gets some weird artifacts like lines popping out of it,and some bits and pieces popping
out of the logo which shouldn’t.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks.

To make a good work you should re-subdivide faces so to avoid concave polygons.
Doing that will need a bit of manual work:

• First off, select all polygons and Limited Dissolve them (Delete->Limited Dissolve); you should get just one big n-gon.
  • Now selecting 2 vertices and hitting the J key you can join them and subdivide the n-gon; if you do it ‘strategically’, that is, around the problematic spots and as evenly as possible, you can force the n-gon to internally subdivide by quads, or at least avoid concave polygons around the shape.
    At the same time you can/should Limited Dissolve some vertices, where they are too dense, and helping to get an even amount of vertices, and allowing the n-gons to subdivide by quads.

At last you could be able to successfully apply the solidify to the mesh.

I know my English is bad, and to describe the procedure is not an easy task, but to do it it’s easier than to explain.
If you don’t understand (very likely) feel free to ask!

paolo

2)Since I want it to be extruded I saw a tutorial saying its a good way to add a solidify modifier to it.
Why are you not just extruding it (shortcut E)

In the modifier have you checked even thickness and high quality normals.
Check your face normals are all correct
Remove any double vertices.
Look at your model closely to see what faces are causing the problem, check they are correct then check again.
Since you failed to attach or posted a link to your blend file you are the only person who can check these things out.

Hello Paolo.

Thanks for the reply. is it easy for you to do a quick video tutorial on this?ill send to you my SVG file.

Hi Richard.

I know that extruding is the best solution and I’ve gotten the best result with no problems at all. I just want to take a step further in Blender and try to figure out problems to I can be more application orientated how Blender behaves and why its doing what its doing
for a reason. Just being inquisitive that’s all. Now about the check even thickness and high quality normals,Im applying all that and still the result
is weird, do you think maybe its because there are too many points all ready from the vector image that ive done in illustrator?has that got anything to do with this weird result?

No way I can make a tutorial, if you send me the svg I can make a .blend and post it, and maybe take some snapshot while I’m working on it.

paolo

Ok Paolo,please send me your e-mail. Thank you.

Actually Blender is quick and proficient itself on creating curve objects. All you need is just an image.
To get mesh object, apply slight bevel and extrude Curve. It’s easy then to select bevel and vertical mesh parts, invert selection and deal with triangles on flat surfaces if needed. While Limited dissolve (and Inset after) works, on more complicated objects preparing Curve object could be more beneficial imho.

because there are too many points all ready from the vector image

Yes, actually thy are too close together. Scale the curve up by 10 and see if it goes away. Often when I import a SVG I do have to spend time fixing points before I move on to extruding and mesh conversion (if at all). You can either fix it in Blender (easiest). Or if you are proficient in Illustrator use the tool there to clean up the curve before you Save As SVG. Often, the culprit is a double point in the same location. Then when you start offsetting or solidifying those points balloon out because they are essentially on top of one another. Unfortunately there is no Remove Doubles for curves (whaa!). So what I do is just work my way around the curve, selecting each point and pressing the G-Key to drag it away. If the point is good I just press ESC and it will jump back to it’s original location. If the point is bad/double I delete it.

OK, I’m not able to follow every step I made, anyway I will try and explain the basic method adopted.

First off I converted the curve to mesh, then in faces editing, select all and ‘Limited Dissolve’ to get n-gons.

Then Select all, Remove Doubles, and in vertex mode I dissolved vertices where too dense.

and added vertices where they can help.

%

Attachments

[ATTACH=CONFIG]216100[/ATTACH]

Before you can delete some inner edges you have to create some new in the proper places:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216101[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]216102[/ATTACH]

The goal is to force the n-gons to subdivide without too angled edges which could overlap.

I think you can reconstruct those passages in the file

paolo