SVG output script

Yes converting the curves to Bezier and setting Overlay Bezier worked as expected.
Thank you Liero! Really appreciate it…

This is such a useful addon that it should be part of Blender (trunk) - have you thought of doing it?
If you want us to push for it, would be happy to do it.

thanks saiko but it’s pretty bloated and just awful on the coding side, but the functionality would be welcome of course

1 Like

Thanks Liero. You said you are not a coder yet you wrote such a useful script!
So for someone from the Blender developer team can easily streamline the code.

I have posted a request for this to be included in RightClickSelect

If you want to make a comment for development, please comment on that thread. Your input would be much more useful for the potential developers than what I have written there.

Thanks again!

1 Like

SVG exprot is part of the grease pencil roadmap, I suppose this will be included too, anyhow you could try to contact them.

https://developer.blender.org/project/view/62/

3 Likes

Thank you Nwytg for bringing it to my attention.
Really appreciate it.

Dear @liero:

I recently started using Blender, but unfortunately I am not getting along with your addon. I would like to export the following cube as SVG, but I do not know how! I’m using “blender-2.79.0-git.e045fe53f1b0-windows64”. Could you please help me?

Thank you in advance for your support; I look forward to your response!

Best regards,
MrMuskle

hi MrMuskle, I’m afraid the plugin will not help you, it’s meant to export geometry as svg -a vector format- wich is mainly mesh edges as 2d lines, and not textures as you have there… are you sure you need an svg file?

you should use the old version of plugin in any case, or just go and try new 2.8x Blender btw

1 Like

Also, if it is texture you want to turn into an SVG, you could use the Trace Bitmap feature in Inkscape (Path / Trace Bitmap)

1 Like

Hi, the script is great!
I have one question:
there is a way to export the entire mesh of the object instead of the individual polygons that make it up?
I try to explain better: if I have a cube in the scene, exporting svg I get a file with a polygon for each face of the cube. We can have the cube saved using only one polygon which is the sum of the polygons of the faces.

Tank you very much
Cheers

hi reddog, I don’t think the plugin could do that, you will need to do it in inkscape… objects should be grouped already and you could use the no shading option

@liero WOW … already 8 years :slight_smile: Congratulations :slight_smile: just cross this Q I noticed 2.93 doesn’t like something … Still works great in official 2.92 … so probably will be fine in 2.93 official later on? Thank you for your check and patience :slight_smile: Have a great spring time Liero :slight_smile:

thank you for the warning vklidu… it’s the animation option that gives some problem… it was a functionality Atom added to script btw… and it’s autumn time for me here, but thanks…!

edit: in the meantime I placed the animation option as a new setting at the bottom

1 Like

This is a really cool and useful script, thanks @liero!
I’d like to maybe try and make some small changes / add some options. Would it be OK to host a modified version (with credit and link to this thread) on a platform like Github? Or even better, maybe you would be able to host it there yourself?
Also, as a suggestion: I think it would be useful to translate the code in English. English isn’t my first language either, but I do always program in English to make the code accessible to others. Now I have to Google translate most function names and variables to figure out what they do which is very time consuming :wink:

thanks Jasper, go ahead with modifying it no problem
it’s a mess I know but send me a message if I can help

Please keep us updated on your mods to the script… I use it HEAVILY at work and I can’t live without it. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Hi liero
This is my camera-frame:

But when I open the result in Inscape the whole scene is positioned wrong:

How can I get the exact same viewbox in Inkscape like I in the camera-frame in Blender?

Kind regards
Alain

hi Alain, yes the script frames the scene using the viewport… if you hide the script panel you’ll see you have some viewport space there too, sorry but I think it’s how it works, top left pixel will be (0,0) in inkscape… you could put Blender in full screen and maximize area and may help? that’s all I can think now

1 Like

@liero
Would this help you to modify your script to render the svg from the camera frame instead of the whole viewport?

It’s great that this plugin is still working after all these years! @liero is it possible to put this on a repository like github or gitlab? Would be a lot easier to track changes to report bugs there

So, now with Blender3.x around… is this script still around? It doesn’t seem to work in this new version.(And it was so very practical to use!)

Edit: At the moment, I can’t use the script anymore, because there is no version of Blender that is old enough to support the script, yet new enough to support the architecture of my computer.

I must say: I absolutely loved the script, because it was so much more straight-forward then Freestyle and it just exports the vertices without the nodes in between.