Swapper - Open Game Project

@Burton: That´s great! If you tell me your mail adress you can join our slack.

I have never used slack before, do I need to sign up an account for it? my gmail is [email protected]

@Burton P. : we’re using Slack, Skype and Whatsapp to communicate so you can join us on any one of those, if you want to join Slack, just send a PM to me or Blenderrendersky and we’ll add you. There is a link to the skype group chat above.

Hey, I’m French, I’m no expert on BGE but i can help, I can translate if needed.

@softyoda: if you want to, you can try to create a level for the game or something like that. If you want to chat with the group, send me a private message with your mail and you will be added to our slack.

This looks like it could be so much fun (to make and play!)

Will there be weapons of any kind? Almost all BGE projects I’ve made have been weapons-based. If not, that is fine to. (puzzle games are also cool!)

What type of props will be needed? I’m assuming the answer will depend mostly on the theme of the game, so what is the general theme/setting? I’d love to work on some props, trap mechanics, and effects, (after all, what good is a puzzle game without pulsating laser traps?)

This is a great example that the BGE can be used to make great games. Keep it up!

the puzzle idea is nice but i’m not too much into puzzles or into portal so here are some thoughts about swap and a sketch of a glacier map.

after playing around for some time i think the cube should be picked up automatically after the player swaps to it. a player model holding the cube would be cool.the player should be able to throw the cube at platforms, through holes, onto switches (and enemies if the cube is equipped with some more abilities than just the swapping thing). maybe the cube could stick to some walls and objects and if not swapped to it after some time it returns to the player automatically.

glacier_map: download

Thank you all for the feedback! Jelly your idea is pretty interesting. Would definitly be cool to use the swapping mechanic outside of small rooms. The problem is that the cube always changes position with the player. That makes it interesting for some levels, but also hard for others to work.

SETTING/STORY DISCUSSION
Ok everyone, it is important now to get an Idea of the setting the game is in.
Several Questions have to be answered:

-who is the Player?
-what is his motivation/goal?
-what is the environment he is in?
-how is the swapping mechanic explained?
-is there an antagonist/antagonists?
-what is the overall setting?

If you have any Ideas, please post them here.

i get the swapping idea and its a nice puzzle game, so keep it up!

i’m not a puzzle - fan but i like to play fps so nevermind brainstorming about your game idea freely just for the fun of it.

i’ve been playing the teleport disc gun in ut III and found it pretty funny, maybe you know it. so if the swapping cube has quite more a handling like this and abilities.

if the player can throw and handle it in a entertaining way this game could be an arcady action jump’n’run puzzle type of game with some interesting stuff to do with the cube and levels to make.

about the mechanics:

the main gameplay element is the swapping to the cube like the original idea!
but less complicated without swapping the cube to the players position and with automatic pickup after swapping to it. the cube should also return to the player automatically if not swapped or used in a amount of time to avoid getting stuck at unreachable places thrown at by the player.

+abilities

• throwable and sticky
  • flying/hovering
  • attacking (bomb, electric beam, stun impulse)
  • manipulating player and enemies (player invisibility, control enemies)

the player starts with a cube which has the base abilities and is upgrading at certain points of the game to the final superpower cube saving the world.

the puzzle element ist still in but, by hovering and flying the cube freely around, it adds a little bit of an “Descent” like action-type-gameplay at later stages. so at first stage the player can throw the cube and swap to it, at later stages the player is also hovering the cube through tricky passages bristled with obstacles, for example vents or winds pushing the cube around at some places, magnets, electric fields etc pp.

by bounding throwing and flying of the cube the game would still be challenging in puzzle parts also. later the player sneaks around enemies, combats them and fights bosses by throwing the cube at them and for example sticking at certain areas of the enemies body ready to launch attacks or getting around them being invisible.

the storyline could be something like this: a mountain climber drops in a glacier crevasse and is left for dead without any chance to get out of it. accidentally he gets into a cavern where he finds an old crashed alien ship (just to borrow the cliche) and the cube inside of it. with the cube in his hands the mountaineer confidently makes his way through the cave and back to civilisation. on his way he’s facing some yetis and stuff, maybe aliens who survived in the cavern after the ufo crash whatever. while the mountaineer is using the cube, he learns about aliens activities on earth and step by step recovers the secret of aliens controlling the world order (another cliche, yes).

maybe entertaining locations/levels for the story would be:

• ice cave with frozen and damaged alien starship
  • mystic cavern with alien bunker
  • waste temple with alien teleport node
  • area 51 with alien starship
  • alien base behind the moon

yeah whatever, that would be nice to play and your game is also, so good luck!

and if you’re in the mute of … it would be nice to see a fork of the main game with a cube which is throwable and sticky on some places (by material) + swapping to it automatic pickup. maybe i’d finish the level then, to this point the puzzle - game - idea of “swapper” and the mechanics have not fully convinced me to do so…

cheers

http://zumpad.zum.de/p/Swapperstory

All story ideas, feel free to read/add/edit.
Skype discussion on Sunday 5pm Central European Time (CET). Would love to see you guys there.

The website, it… it not so working.

I added a basic trap design idea there, (for those of you who can’t access that)

"This is more an idea for some specific mechanics, the back story is irrelevant to this idea, but I’m assuming a moderately high tech level, sci-fy environment.

In all platform games and quite a few puzzle games, “spikes” are a hazard. Whether it is in the form of sharp logs, icicles, steel points, Etc. - all games have spikes. This one should not. Now, I’m not saying that in-level hazards should be nonexistent, quite the opposite. Instead of using the all too stereotypical “spikes,” it would be more imaginative and probably funner to play if the in-level hazards were energy based – laser barriers, electrified walls, force fields, Etc. These could be disabled by destroying generators/power lines throughout the level."

X-27 I Agree,

maybe some puzzles are installing batteries? connecting up lines? after its powered pressing a switch etc?

I have the code for assembling objects and for building rigid body chains on the fly laying around…

@BPR: Hm, its weird that the site is not working for you. Seems to work for X-27…

Now it’s working :smiley:

also side note :smiley:

each actor can use a different control script** as long as it uses the lists own[‘Move’] and own[‘Act’]

Wrectified always was for the community, and this is a very nice project :smiley:

Attachments

WrectifiedRe_Re_Re_Reboot.blend (741 KB)

We had a skype call over the premiss of the game. That´s what we agreed on:

-player is random guy in a spacestation/sci-fi facility
-semi-realistic artstyle
-clean, bright levels. Blueish white colors
-backstory discovered through explorations in the levels
Models needed: Wall tiles, Floor tiles, Buttons, Doors, Vents, Miscellanious Sci-fi stuff

I don’t think the cube getting more abilities trought the playtrough is a good idea. In my opinion it would be nice if it would be like in Portal that it would need some sort of a special gel to get those special features and it wouldn’t be the same cube trough the whole game and the levels would have a thing at the end of the levels that would not allow the cube go past it. Also it would be cool if there would be multiple cubes that have different abilities example: the “main” swapper cube that could do the swapping thing and trigger things, then a cube that wouldn’t be able to swap but could trigger things. Also there should be some sort of enemies (I think something similar to the turrets in Portal would fit pretty well). But I don’t have any more time to type anymore because I have to go to sleep so bye :smiley:

I was thinking abut Jelly’s idea and I think it would be cool if the levels were mostly puzzles like the original idea was and some would be those parkour-ish levels.
Also about that automatic pickup thing there could be (as I said earlier) different kinds of cubes the normal cube and the automatic pickup cube or a special gel that can be put on the cube.
Also in the puzzles the buttons and door should be visually linked (some sort of a wire or a number or an icon) so it wouldn’t be so confusing trying to figure out witch button goes to witch door especially because of the swapping mechanic.
(I was going to put something here but I forgot what cause my mom was talking to me :D)

Also I found some bugs that the “coders” could fix.

https://youtu.be/SBhaKfifDnA (sorry for the bad video quality I don’t have a good recording software that could run on my computer)

Looking good, so what method are you guys using for source control? Something specific like git or some other method?