SWEET! Spider-man 2 pre-vis animatics...

Because writing their own takes lots of time and effort. if Blender is suitable for the task, they’ve already got what they need right there.

For another, wouldn’t it sadden you to know that there is a studio that has a version of blender which can do complete cloth simulation, with fully simulated hair, and liquid dynamics, and it has a muscle system, and you will never see those features? (I mean done by them, for I’m sure sooner or rather later the developers will get to these :slight_smile: )

It wouldn’t sadden me anyway - the community would certainly not have lost anything, and development would continue as usual. But as well, it would be good that other people are finding value in Blender, and that we can help them get a job done. Though I think that example is a bit far-fetched. It would be far cheaper for a studio to buy a copy of Maya or XSI, than it would be to pay programmers to add those features to Blender.

orion119net: As long as they don’t distribute anything (all work is kept in-house), a studio would be perfectly within their legal rights to modify GPL software and not share it.

I emailed Anthony (the pre-viz dude) inviting him to the elysiun.com forums.

Cool. He can probably offer some good suggestions for improvements.
I just saw Spider-Man by the way. It was very good. At least as good as the first one.

You must have missed the anouncement. It has been ported.

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3896

I doubt they switched to it because of that!

They do it because of the rendering speed and the elevated datatranser at higher speeds(well thats wher the rendering speed is coming from)
they give a toss about open source, they even pay for it (redhat).

btw. look at the header( where you can see the blue blender 2.28; picture in the first post) and tell me what kind of screen-resolution this guy must have! It hardly reaches half the screen. I do have it pretty high and it covers 4/5th. but he must have it at 3000x2400 !! :o

I doubt they switched to it because of that!

They do it because of the rendering speed and the elevated datatranser at higher speeds(well thats wher the rendering speed is coming from)
they give a toss about open source, they even pay for it (redhat).[/quote]
Rendering speed is one thing, but what I said is definitely another importan reason:
http://millimeter.com/ar/video_linux_hollywood/

(read under the paragraph titled ‘Why Open Source Rocks Hollywood’):

— from the article —

It seems ironic that Linux dominates at studios known for building secret proprietary technology to gain competitive advantage. What’s happened is Hollywood has recognized that having a standard open platform to develop upon enables them to dedicate more of their resources to creating their secret sauce, the technology that sets them apart as a studio.

Contrary to common sense, to build the best secret proprietary software you need an open-source platform underneath it. The reason is that proprietary software can require tweaks to the operating system itself that no proprietary operating system vendor would be interested in implementing. Moreover, motion picture production is a very time-sensitive business. A problem in the operating system can’t be allowed to hold up production. With open source, studios can throw programmers at anything, whether at the software or OS level.
— end article quote —

Well, on my ‘big’ machine I have a dual monitor setup with both screens (19 inch tubes) running at 1600x1200 resolution. The desktop is spread over both screens giving me a 3200x1200 pix screen.

I got a reply from Anthony!!

Good news for Blender!

I took another peek at that screenshot and as you can see there is a vertical window devider that sits neatly halfway the screen. I bet we are looking at the screendump of a dual monitor setup with a shared desktop (like my own). Imagine each half of the total screen visible on a separate monitor… sweet 8)

WOW…I’ve never seen such a high resolution… :o

Umm, actualy by full cloth simulation I didn’t mean basic softbody stuff, howsoever much I like that blender is going how it is going :slight_smile: