Switching axes

Hey guys! I’ve had this problem happen a few times, and I don’t know what causes it. Sometimes my Y axis goes where my Z axis should be, or some such thing. It creates a lot of problems, but I don’t know what causes it. Does anyone else here know?

what are you talking about? are yu talking about an empty…?

thats a pretty vague question…

~Delta

Apologies. What I mean is, normally when you are in side view, and you grab a verticie, and you press z… it can only move vertically. But for me, it is moving horizontally. The Y and Z axes seem to have switched.

It is moving along the local axis of your object (turn the axis on in the object buttons to see). There is some kind of bug in grabbing in editing mode with relation to what axis (local or world) it is using. Grabbing in object mode and rotating in either mode works correctly (ie. z for world and zz for local), but grabbing in edit mode has some issues.

GreyBeard

Not that I’m aware of.

Martin

Teeth,

1. Open a new file and delete the default cube.

2. go into front view and add a new cube (objects x axis same as the world axis, y and z different).

3. select a vert and press g z z or g y y – you can’t move the vertex. g x x works because the same as world x.

GreyBeard

PS - I have also run into the situation where press g x for instance grabs along the local axis rather than the world but don’t know what triggered it and can’t reproduce it at will.

Ah yes, but this is not an editmode only glitch and it is one am I fully aware of. This will be fixed in the transform makeover.

PS - I have also run into the situation where press g x for instance grabs along the local axis rather than the world but don’t know what triggered it and can’t reproduce it at will.

Some constraints (FollowPath with the curve follow option on) will have weird effect on grab. This is also known and will be fixed.

You had me puzzled because your post mentioned problems related to editmode.

Martin

So I’m not crazy! :smiley: This problem happens to other people too!

That’s the real thing I was concerned with. I’m always having to question my sanity :wink:

Please note that global axis constraining will always work correctly except with a followPath constraint. Other than that, it will always move the object correctly.

Martin