Switching from cycles to Eevee kills the project

Hi all,

I’m fairly new to Blender (been tinkering for a couple months now) and I have come across an issue in various projects that is probably caused by my inexperience and me doing something wrong.

I’ve been switching between Cycles and Eevee and exploring the different workflows, and a couple of times while working in a project and wanting to try to go the eevee way after a while working in cycles so I can get a quick render, when I hit F12 (being in eevee) Blender just dies. It gets stuck at 0% and nothing happens.
I even let the computer do it’s thing for an hour or so and nothing happened.

Am I being stupid and doing something obviously wrong or there’s something happening?

Hardware info:

Ryzen 7 OC’d to 3.8 GHZ
Nvidia 1080ti FTW3 11GB GDDR5X
32GB Ram
All running from 3 different SSD (one for OS, one for Blender, one for project file)
Windows 10 pro
Single monitor setup at 2560 x 1440
This render was exported in 1080 x 1080 (will export a high res when finished)

Edit: added a render in case it’s relevant.
Edit 2: added relevant hardware info.

Welcome @MoreanMan to me it sounds like hardware. Remember that eevee vram needs and cycles can use the whole ram. But your scene doesn’t look like big textures. It always helps to post hardware specifications, screenshots and/or .blend files.

yeah

what is your computer? I know from students that they experience a lot of crashes with eeVee.

I think this is mainly purely GPU related.

Hi. You mention here the OS, the GPU that you have, vRAM and resolution/size of the render output.

Thanks all,

sorry I missed those details, being new here I’m not completely familiar with the protocols.
I added relevant info to my original post.

Thanks again for stepping in!

You should report this to developers, but you need to share a .blend file where developers can reproduce the problem.
If you can’t share the entire scene, try to simplify the scene by trying to figure out what elements or materials might be causing the problem and only share them with the .blend file.