Switching HDRI Color Space to Linear ACES

Does anyone have an opinion on the interesting results of switching your HDRI to linear ACES? It appears to give it MUCH richer colors but maybe looks over saturated in some parts? i wonder if this is all down to what type of monitor you have and the kind of gamut it can handle?

Here are a bunch of examples for you to compare… They were all saved with 16bit PNG format.
HDRI1 Linear HDRI1 Linear ACES HDRI2 Linear ACES HDRI2 Linear HDRI3 Linear HDRI3 LinearACES HDRI4 Linear HDRI4 LinearACES HDRI5 Linear HDRI5 LinearACES HDRI6 Linear HDRI6 LinearACES

Artistically i love the way it adds richer colors to a scene… But whether its technically correct i dont know. Note, its not simply upping the saturation or vibrance, its doing something totally different, i cant even seem to correct it in photoshop to match the non ACES version.

Is there a difference between ACES and Linear ACES?

Personally, I believe that the wider the visible spectrum used (and exportability) the better it is.

I think as to whether there is a difference depends on the source format of the file and how that file was handled and changed if it was…

See if you can make sense of the blurb below i struggle… Wish it was simple.

Furthermore, the ACES color space is so large it actually encompasses the entire visual locus (everything humans can see).

For the past few years, ACES or the A cademy C olor E ncoding S pecification has been gaining in adoption and use on features and higher-end television shows.

No Guessing For VFX/CGI Workflows – one reason that ACES has been embraced by VFX/CGI heavy films is because they’re compositing and working linear anyway! And that linear data can then be rendered back to whatever is appropriate to the project, or kept linear and given back to a colorist to simply reapply their existing grade with no look shifting
When it comes to precision, ACES uses Open EXR 16-bit half-float processing which results in 33+ stops of scene referred exposure!

Keep in mind that even though EXR is used, often this processing is just internal to the app you’re using and no EXR files are created for you to manage – except in renders and handoffs (but rarely in acquisition).

I shall upload a few more shots… But also try an EXR HDRI and see how that goes.

EXR test coming up next.

Clearly it shifts the blue light in a way that does not seem to be accurate. But for the most part if your scenes are dull and you want more vibrance i would turn on Linear ACES for the HDRI unless its a scene with lots of blue sky.

These ones are done with the very high contrast setting in color management.

It’s more to do with using the wrong settings. Another option would be to use the correct colour settings, and do the grading post render.