Sword

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22480908/Blender/Sword.png

This is my first project that I’ve done without help of a tutorial. Its a little bit simple right now but I was looking for some feed back on the sword itself. I rendered it with cycles at around 2000 passes.

Okay good start.
The setting for the gem seems a little flat. (make the gem peak around the underside of the setting)
The area on the handle right next to it has some creases.
You need to add a tarnish texture to the hilt and handle.
Add some scratches, but make it stronger on the handle.
Try making the middle of the blade duller and the edges bright. (as if it were sharpened on the edges. Don’t follow perfectly straight lines. Fudge it a little.)
Tray adding a emblem to the base of the blade.

Well, I presume it is meant as a fantasy prop, so no need to go after photorealism farther. This provided, materials are good and modeling clean. I cannot enter into more details, for image is small and a bit dark.
Pushing a step along functionality, consider that the blade should not be sharpened close to hilt.

It’s a great model but the materials make it look a little like a cartoon drawing around the hilt. You don’t have to add black lines to draw out the detail, so long as it’s there it’ll look just fine with plain metal.

Actually a darken tint in the groves is realistic. Tarnish and gunk usually builds up in groves and crevices that aren’t touched much.

Well, these aren’t really grooves on the handle guards. They’re just black edges.

Yeah originally the handle was just silver the black lines are actually raised up parts not grooves I was trying to make the handle look better than just a plain silver (didn’t work out so well) so i’m going to probably remodel the handle part. Ill post a new image with some of the changes today or tomorrow.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22480908/Blender/sword2.png

Here is my updated image. I tried to add some tarnish to the gold as well as redid the handle. I also made a few other smaller changes (srry if its a little grainy I didn’t have time to run it through as many passes this time)

Nice progress so far, but why did you add tarnish to the gold when gold doesn’t tarnish?

oh woops haha I misread mactrucks post he meant to add tarnish to the handle… though gold does often have a dirty mabye not tarnish but somewhat close look to it at least if its older I tried to base its texture off of some pictures. I feel like for realisms sake I needed to tone down how shiny perfect the gold was. Do you think I put too much on the gold texture?

hey does anyone know what this error is about: Loading C:\Users\Christopher\Documents\logo.blend failed: Failed to read blend file: “C:\Users\Christopher\Documents\logo.blend”, incomplete

My computer crashed while I was rendering my sword and now whenever I try to open the .blend it gives me this error. Is the file just corrupted and if so is there any way of recovering it?

Honestly, I thought the hilt was made out of some kind of bronze.
Gold is really a bad material to make a sword with. It is way to maluable.
As for the error, it’s possible it’s been corrupted.
Since you didn’t exit, recovering last session won’t work.
You can try the autosaves, but they have never been reliable for me.

Honestly, I thought the hilt was made out of some kind of bronze.
Gold is really a bad material to make a sword with. It is way to malleable.
As for the error, it’s possible it’s been corrupted.
Since you didn’t exit, recovering last session won’t work.
You can try the autosaves, but they have never been reliable for me.

Yeah it was more meant as a decorative sword (gold would also be crazy heavy haha) I was originally going to make it into a more full scene kind of set in a temple ruin or something however I can’t seem to recover the project :confused: oh well it was a good learning experience it was the first time I’ve done modeling that required curves of that sort (also ill be backing up my projects from now on lawl). By the way could you give me some tips on making a gold material more realistic cause I feel like neither image really captured it. thanks for the feedback guys!

Your latest render looks better overall, but the original handle was better - this one reminds me of a lightsaber. Also the tarnish might be overdone.

Ok yeah I think the little red symbol I put on the handle should probably have been left off it really makes it look like a lightsaber haha. As far as the tarnish goes what would I do to fix it a little better I tried several different things but the changes either made it more grainy or made it seem a lot worse. My guess is I probably should have made the tarnish a little better. Here is a screenshot of how I made it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22480908/Blender/nodes.png

Keep in mind those aren’t the actual values I used however those are the nodes I used to create it (I lost the project and I don’t remember what values I used exactly). The bottom noise node was the one that I changed I didn’t touch the others much so their values were the same.

Well good news! I was able to recover most of the project from the auto saves. However i’m taking a break from it for now as i’m working on a new project for a competition. When I do come back to it I plan on adding it to a more complete scene.