Swtich to cpu for cloth simulations?

Should I swap from GPU to CPU in cycles when I’m doing cloth simulations to speed things up or it doesn’t make any difference?

Hi.
Simulation (baking simulation) is always a CPU task. Render result is what can be done by CPU or GPU.

OK, so I don’t need to actively switch to CPU it will do this automatically?

That’s right, simulation calculation is always done on CPU. CPU/GPU setup is only a Cycles render engine feature.
You can check this by monitoring your hardware usage with a hardware monitor app while the simulation is baked.

1 Like

Thanks Yafu, I’m looking in task manager at the cpu usage, local processors… which I assume is cores? And they are all running, but around 50-60%, can I increase that? Seems like close to 100% would be quicker.

Those percentages are normal for Blender simulations. Developers are aware of it, so I suppose that it is working correctly and I suppose that from a user perspective we cannot do anything to improve it.

1 Like

Ah ok, I just wondered if it was just my machine, I bought a nice new computer and this cloth baking simulation is taking ages…

…I did just realise though that I forgot to turn off the subsurf modifiers on the collision objects, which is probably slowing it down somewhat.

Usually to speeding up the cloth simulation some techniques are used to avoid heavy calculations in meshes with high amount vertices. For example performing the simulation on a low poly mesh and transferring it to a high poly mesh using “Surface deform” modifier. You inquire about it.