synfig

Anyone tried synfig? Any comments? Looks interesting.

Never even heard of it until now. At first I thought it was attempt at creating an open source Flash-type program. But this looks like much more. Interesting…

I tried compiling it a while back but ran into some issues with gcc4 and his support lib… been following his project since then. Maybe I should try compiling it again.

I was able to get 0.61.01 to build, after fixing some problems with the OpenEXR include files.

It’s a little rough around the edges, but it’s very powerful with LOTS of potential. I think it’s much more mature than ktoon.

Apparently this guy had been working on it for several years now and decided to open it up. Hopefully it will attract more developers and grow into something as big as blender.

I might look at this myself. Looks really interesting.

Caleb

hi

looks quite powerfull. did you guys check out moho from lost marble?
it is only 99 dollars and has 2d bones !!!

claas

Downloaded it but haven’t played with it yet.
It certainly caught my eye.

Caleb

Looks like its got the same problem as the gimp…it opens every window as a new window instead of putting them in a single containing window like photoshop. This drives me nuts…

Yes, I know there is a plug-in for this. It’s buggy and not worth the trouble since I can get my hands on photoshop.

I don’t see it as a problem. I prefer it this way.

Sorry for a daft question, but could someone tell me how to compile this application in Linux? :expressionless:

Meanwhile, I’ll try it out under Windows I guess.

Caleb

Sorry for a daft question, but could someone tell me how to compile this application in Linux?

You can to compile and install ETL, Synfig Core, and Synfig Studio. (in that order) You also need to check to make sure all the dependencies are installed.

To build them, untar the tarballs, go into the director created and run

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install