T Pose or Sculpt?

Characters like this did people do it in T pose then rig it and make the pose they like :no_mouth:
or they sculpt the character with that pose ? :thinking:
Note : the picture from google

most people model in the T pose thin rig it

2 Likes

Based on the loosness of the finger pose and odd material banding in the base joints of those fingers, I’ll guess t-pose. Sculpting gives artists a chance to make that very stance much more natural and less mechanical looking. It’s a deceptively hard task crossing the arms and wrapping the fingers against skin.

1 Like

This was probably modeled in a T pose. But for specific poses or shots (like bent arm muscles) a shot specific multires may have been added for definition.

2 Likes

Yes I would say t-pose sculpt, retopo then rigged to position. Or sculpted, retopo, and rigged. The first method just makes creating the armature easier as a T-pose all bones are extended to full range making the rigging process for posing easier after the fact especially if any weight painting is involved.

1 Like

Thank you :heart_eyes:

1 Like

when I done modeling and rigging when I do specific pose it goes like maniac left arm moves to back right arm moves up head and legs too :joy:
I just was wondering to start learning right :slight_smile:
Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you for this information :heart_eyes:

Thank you so much :slight_smile:
How is retopology works ?! :no_mouth:

When you sculpt you end up with tris all over the mesh. Once you are finished sculpting then you do what is called retopology and that involves essentially creating the character from scratch but since you have that nice sculpted model that you just made you would then start with a plane or a single vert and use snapping and you can lay out a nice edge flow so you can create the higher poly loops and such required to allow for portions of the body that bend and move as to not end up with pinching or creasing. There is also addons for retopology on the market but most do cost.
The other benefit to doing it this way is if your sculpted mesh has a bunch of details like wrinkles and scars is that you can use that to bake a normal map off that to apply to the lighter poly retopo mesh you created off the sculpted version.

Here is a video with a quick rundown on retopology

1 Like

Brilliant idea to use snapping to retopo I got the idea now :smile::raised_hands:
But why he will use multi-resolution modifier not subdivision surface modifier ?

Multi res is similar to dynamic topology or dynatopo except the multires modifier is nice as it allows you to add finer details without having to go nuts with the brush detail. Also the multires is less destructive as you can always bump down or raise the level of detail you need. Subdivision surface modifier only works with the geometry you have provided it with. So say a square subdivided ends up looking like a sphere but you still only have the verts to edit that you started with so you would only have the initial 8 verts unless you applied the subdivision modifier at which case you can’t decide later that you don’t need that much detail or you wanted less detail. With multires you can adjust that without sacrificing the option to do just that.

1 Like

Got it :heartbeat:

1 Like

I’m just getting back into armatures - I still won’t touch retopo; that’s a whole category to itself and those guys are amazing! My current simple characters meant for ONE pose and NO animation is enough - like you, arms flailing, teeth flying out of the head, eyeballs zipping all around! It’s a fun effort and the payoff is fantastic.

Keep up the good vibes, man!

1 Like