T-Wing

I’m trying my hand at a slightly different design with a Star Wars-ish look. This will be a mercenary fighter that has seen better days. All C&C welcome.

Attachments

I like the look of the model, but it doesn’t have a very Star Wars’ish look to me yet. Also, there is already a ship called a t-wing from the Star Wars video games. But the model itself and the details look really good.

Thx Blazer003. It’s not supposed to be from Star Wars but just inspired by it. Actually it was the vertical format of Slave 1 that I thought was a very cool concept.

Here’s an update. Have added the short and long range sensors and a couple of canon turrets.

Attachments

Lookin nice! No crits.

I think the wings are too small. You might try using some Ambient Occlusion and deleting the normal lamp to make the model look a little better before you begin to texture.

DOes the pilot have to be exposed to the elements when the ship takes off? I suppose that it might retract inside the ship, but having the seat way out on the edge is a little weird.

Don’t mind me. Good job on the details!

~Jace

Thx JACE. The wings are strictly a mounting platform for the weapons and engines. Any atmospheric lift they provide is secondary. The lighting is only temporary, like shop lights…to illuminate the construction area. The current display shows the cockpit open. The seat has a pivot on it’s back and as the door closes the seat swings up and over. Once the door is closed the door becomes the port wall. The seat then slides forward on the wall/door mounted track moving into position behind the controls.

Attachments

Sweet! Didn’t realize that b/c of your distant photo. But I still love the concept or the seat’s rotation. Are the controls and such inside the cockpit?

I can’t wait to see the AmbOcc and some textures! I’ll stay active with the post and watch your awesome modeling!

I do have a suggestion though: The wings should start out big, but should thin out a little toward the edges. If this thing fights in atmospheric situations, that is. If its a space fighter, then forget about the thickness of the wings; it wouldn’t matter. But then again, why would it even need wings?

I’m sure they’re there for a reason. THe just look a little blocky/too thick. Otherwise, no other comments except add details between the cockpit window and the start of the wing.

~Jace

The controls will be in the cockpit. There will be some basic controls on the seat but they will just be to open and close the cockpit (raise and lower the seat and door). This ship will be capable of atmospheric manouvering but is primarily a space fighter. The wings do thin out toward the ends but that is hard to see from this angle. Still a long way to go before uv mapping begins.

Have added a few more pieces. This will probably be the last update before the UV mapping begins.

Attachments

It’s been a few weeks since I have posted an update. Not spending as much time in front of the computer now that the warm weather is here. But I do manage to get a bit done. This is the latest.

Attachments

To be honest… I think you should avoid grey at all costs. Your tex should have some red chipped paint like an x-wing, some tannish for sundamage and some contrasty greys, but I think your current tex doesn’t really look the best on the model.

~Jace

Really nice, a lot of details

Here’s my weekly update. Not a whole heck of a lot more done. Just starting to get a little more colour onto the hull. C&C always welcome.

Attachments

I would reccomend a Slave I style green-grey paint job.

~Jace

Here’s an update for any of you who may be following this project. Any suggestions for a setting? C&C always welcome.

Attachments

Hmm… I’m not sure, setting-wise. I would reccommend a space setting, or something showing the thing in action and flying.

I like the green and grey… but the red cockpit doesn’t do it for me.

Good improvement, though.

~Jace

The red cockpit is just a red overhead cockpit light. Easy to change. Haven’t really decided what to do for interior lighting yet.

Have not sent in an update for a few weeks. The ship is pretty much finished. Still a bit to do on the landing platform and major work to do on the backdrop. C&C always welcome.

Attachments

Lookin good! Shadows are a bit dark though. And if it were me I’d have a little more action in the shot… Like at least have a cool view of the ship in the process of landing, with engines firing downwards to slow it and everything… It’d just make it a little more exciting.