Tablet Notebooks and animation

Do you guys think that Tablet Notebooks are a good combination with animation ? And if anybody has one can they please explain if its the bestbuy for activities like animation ?

laptops are never good for animation.

Agreed, you are better of with a regular pc.
Laptop weren’t built for such purposes.
Sure, Blender works fine on it but at about 60.000 vertices mine gets laggy and at 500.000 it is veeeeeery slow.
I can guess that for animation things won’t be any different.

Laptops are only good for things you can do on the go. Like internet and Word processing.

But nothing like games/modelling/animation/graphics. You really need a mouse and a proper keyboard for such things.

Depends on the kind of animation you’re doing, I hear. I think there was an article on the late sewardstreet.com about tablet laptops and hand drawn animation, and he seemed very much in favor of them.

I’m assuming you’re talking about 3d animation, though, and there I would have to agree that a desktop is probably better. If you’ve got an incredibly fast laptop, maybe it would work. You’d still be missing the numpad and mouse, though, unless you go and buy extra stuff.

Personally, though, I don’t use the numpad much at all, anymore. I just have the emulate numpad option enabled (even on desktop computers) because it helps keep all the keys in one area of the keyboard.

Laptops are only good for things you can do on the go. Like internet and Word processing.

But nothing like games/modelling/animation/graphics. You really need a mouse and a proper keyboard for such things.

I can run HL2 on almost full graphics, or Oblivion at about half, on my laptop. On blender, I haven’t made anything yet that makes it lag (no vertex counts though), nowadays laptops are often even more powerful than many desktops. Believe it or not, a mouse isn’t that big or hard to bring along. Personally, I don’t use a numpad even on a desktop, but a numpad attachment is also small and cheap.

id like to differ on that i bought myself a laptop 2x amd turion 2.0 ghz 2 gigs ram nvidia 7600 video the first thing i did was import a 350k poly model, ran like a charm… some slawness was there but not that much that ud have to wory about i think its just the computer set up ps. it runs every single game i own, even FEAR

you have to admit, there are a lot of craptops out there, but there are quite a good number of bad desktops too. You can’t really say “a desktop is better”, or visa versa, it really depends on what’s in them.

As a verdict, I’d say that you should get a desktop if you don’t plan on going anywhere, or a laptop if you do (like me)

I’ve got a laptop/tablet. It’s nice to have both, not either. laptops kinda make me nervous for long renders, since they get hot, and the speed/price is not as good. Things to look for in a laptop are weight/size, battery life, screen resolution, memory, speed. the tablet is awesome for painting textures, and I’ve very excited about pressure sensitivity in blender for sculpt and texture painting.
for big screens, fast harddisks and long renders you can’t beat a desktop. You can always use an external mouse (I do) with a laptop, and I find the keyboard doesn’t bother me.
I wouldn’t go for a super heavy/hot “desktop replacement” giant personally; the mobility gets killed, to the point which you might just as well get a desktop.

hp started making very good and maxed desctop replasements the dv900 serious features a full keyboard wtih numpad, and the batery life isnt that bad ither also comes with a 17 inch widescreen and compared to my “thin and light” dell this thing even weights less