Talking about "production readiness" of features

It’s been interesting to read what everyone considers to be ‘production ready’ and exactly what ‘production’ even means. In few cases, while Blender appears to be production ready for the short Open Movies that the Blender Studio make (and lets face it, Spring and Agent 327 are pretty darn good), there seems to be the general view that it’s not able to handle ‘Big Data’.

I noticed some discussion over exactly what big data is and the need for specific example or numbers. This made me remember that one can get access to an example of big production data.

I would assume we could agree that a recent Disney 3D animated movie would be fair to call big production data and that if Blender could handle that, it could be reasonably considered Production Ready.

So, check it out: www.disneyanimation.com/data-sets/ and grab the Moana Island data.

If you can get Blender to read/edit and render some or all of it then we may have a common starting base for what ‘heavy data’ looks like, how Blender handles it and hence what needs to be improved. Assuming of course that this is the level of production readiness we want Blender to be able to do.