Tangent space baking is deprecated?

Hello blenderheads,

I remember when i read this pagelink some monts before at the blender 2.45 proposal had listed the tangent space baking features and it is deleted and not moved to 2.50.
I keep my eyes on this Tangent space thread and kakapo started a good script to solving temporarily this problem but seems he give up and not will finished this script.
I know that the hardcore coders is concentrating on the peach project but this feature may be part of the apricot project?

Cute and cuddly here boys, no-one wants to make the devs mad.

(yes, I am shivering, I really would like that this features wouldn’t become a dead end
exactly as layer-styles /adjustment layers (live effects, check pixel editor if you’re
unsure of what’s the difference with scripts) for gimp, no-timeshift option for mythtv or
another bunch of really useful and wanted features missing here and there in the open
source, that will never be implemented or will with 5-6 years delay - I give no reasons as
I have nothing cute to say… :eyebrowlift2: - )

I agree that if Blender could generate tangent normal maps on its own it would be more convenient but, when I consider the coders’ available time and the multitude of quite complex projects that are already on their agenda, I hardly can see how this could be considered as a priority. After all there are quite a few free third party programs, like ORB, that do the job adequately.

J.

looks like priorities and motivation are elsewhere.

Well, at least there are free 3rd party apps =)

Well, at least there are free 3rd party apps =)
yes i know about all :wink: and i use and try it the almost all.
You dont think that if tangent space baking is implemented into the blender it will be save a lotof time, and dont need exporting always the hight and low poly if u changed someting on the any polygon for a good result?

In it’s own right, there is always “The Way” (so to speak).

Alas, let’s pray that Project Peach doesn’t get enough renderpower so they decide to use baked heightmaps and tangent normalmaps.

Shit, they’re suppsed to be furry renders …
Maybe they’ll shave?

Anyhow. Juggling stuff between apps is bad karma.

After looking to a really common and adopted xNormal tutorial (link)
I’m asking myself if the informations we have are fine.

If you look the tutorial it’s not generating tangent space but just object space
normal map (to generate tangent space ones you theoretically should have at least
the uv map cause you need to know where the triangles are placed, etc.etc. , but in that
tutorial they just load the image as in the gimp plugin), or it’s generating tangent
space without having the uv map or the object (that seems incredible to me, but this
would mean that an obj2tangent converter would be possible without loading any mesh
or uv map).

The last option is that they are getting object_space maps, but I doubt how much useful are these…

Also I’d like to point out that denormgen, while really useful for organic, it’s not so great for
mecha meshes where you need to bake a bumpmap also inside the normalmap
(like spaceships or so): you have to (theoretically) bake bump in displacement map, use diplacement
modifier (and apply) and only then you can use denormgen (please note that the results are far
worse than real bump baking as displacement modifier isn’t much good for little “bump strips”)

Well, I think there are a lot of more important functions than tangent normal map generating.
Like light stuff (which is being developed), especially environmental lights (halos), attenuation etc.

Well, I think there are a lot of more important functions than tangent normal map generating.
Like light stuff (which is being developed), especially environmental lights (halos), attenuation etc.
thanks mate give me five :smiley:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1827/givemefivecy5.th.jpg

Here =)

http://vero84.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/shuriken.jpg

http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dotclear/index.php/2007/09/10/96-normal-maps-for-blender

Denormgen…yes i use it for a long time
see my post in this thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89019&page=3