tangent space normal maps now possible in blender

heard the good news… now blender renders tangent space normal maps… read more about it here…

http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/changes-since-244/render-baking/

well now we can make cool normal maps for our game models… yes this is in the news section… just thought it should be mentioned here to!:slight_smile:

you can use the program xnormal also, which s what i’ve been doing, but i was hoping this feature would come to blender for a while, so yay

sweeeeeet.

I don’t fully understand how to use the whole thing, can anyone tell me?

You just need to UV unwrap your base mesh and then just bake the tangent normal map from a presumably more detailed version of the base mesh to the UV map . You can find the Bake panel in the scene context (F10) . It is tucked behind the Anim panel by default .
Now the new tangent feature is only available in SVN builds (Graphicall.org), but in the current version of Blender there is already a baking function available though the normal baking is based on the camera space for some reason . And it is very easy to bake a map as you just have to hit the “Bake” button once you have a UV map to bake to that is …

Thanks. I was wondering what SVN was when I was checking out the site.