Tank tracks

Hi,
I’m trying to make a tank with fully modeled tracks in BGE…
I know this isn’t really optimal for a game, but it’s not supposed to be a full game anyways, only the tank driveable on a small piece of terrain.
It might also be helpful for later animation purposes.

I do have several problems still, as I’m not really used to the Game Engine and am working them out step by step now…

The problem I am currently faced with is a technique that allows me to make the single track parts follow a path. I do already know the track tutorial on Blender.org, but I consider it sub-optimal for my purposes, as I have to get out with one Spline for each track.

Is there any way to do this without scripting, or do I have to write a script?

Regards…

have you considered using a scrolling texture? I can’t remember the name of the script, or who wrote it, but try a search in the game engine forum for ‘scrolling uv’. It might have to be updated though. I’m really not the guy to ask about the particulars, but I’m sure one of these guys knows.

I know about that script, but I really want physical track parts, not a moving texture! As said before, I know this is not optimal for game models, but it’s more or less trying to create a higher-res demo, not a full game…

Thanks for the hint, anyways…

Regards

There are lots of ways to do it. The optimal would be to use the hinge feature of the physics engine I think. I haven’t gotten around to messing with it. There are example files you can download for the game engine. You can make a slightly less realistic one by using an ipo. I would think it would work for most purposes. Just make it cycle one loop, or you may get by with having it move exactly one plate of the track, do a copy and use a loop stop actuator. You would want all your internal wheel structure in there and turning also as part of one object.

just make the animation, make all the pieces children of 1 empty, and logic brick this empty.