Tarantula

WooOow! He’s so furry he could be a stuffed toy. :slight_smile: Great great great fur job! And the modelling as well.

Really nice model and great use of hair. I like it!

If someone would have told me this was a photo, I would have believed it. Very photorealistic and great to see this sort of thing can be done with Blender.
5 stars in my book.

excellent 5 stars!

I’m really impressed! Is there any way you could write a tutorial on how you did this?

5 stars too.
Would be nice in an environment

very good, i like it!
maybe you could add a different background to increase realism…

A wonderful piece of work. I can’t wait to see the animation you have planned. (Hopefully making the spider do something unexpected…a dance or something!)

This spider give me cold in my back ! This is a very good job, bravo

looks great, i think especially the procedurals on the particles do the trick ( since the spider consists of many particles), never thought of doing that thats such a nice idea. thats a good image for supporting BI

Thank you all!..

Sadly my time is really constrained this days and a tutorial isn’t possible for me right now :frowning: let’s see how things go in the next weeks.

Thanks again for your feedback.
tuqueque.

too real for me, gives me the creeps looking at it…:eek:

Are there multiple particle systems used on this? Like one for the longer hairs and one for the “undercoat”? You’ve inspired me to work on my own tarantula but I’m having a heck of a time making it not look like a big cuddly toy.

Hi LiquidApe, yes, i used various particle systems… mainly two types of hair, one very short for the “undercoat” as you say… and one longer for the… longer hair :P…

I actually used varous short and long hair particle systems for better color control…

Bellow is sort of the “layers” of hair i used…
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3679/stepsti9.gif

Also, take care of colors for everything, i even used SSS for the base model, a little translucency on the hair… Use a LOT of photo references, try to be as anatomically correct as possible and take care even on the pose of the spider… They basically don’t like cameras so much :wink: so try a shy, distracted or scared pose.

Good luck
tuqueque.

Wow! Great model. Looks pretty realistic. 5*

Thanks for the quick reply! The animated gif really explains a lot with how you constructed the hair. Hopefully I’ll have something to show soon.

Wonderful job, 5 stars!

Cool.I like it.
Where did you learn to do hair like that?

Good,Thank you ocularb0b and Jörzi… and no, i didn’t use Lightcuts for this scene, just regular tools and features… the only fancy thing i did was to set an area light (with shadows activated) pointing up bellow the tarantula to fake light bouncing off the white floor