Tarantula

I’ve been working the past couple days on a Tarantula / hairy spider model. I wanted to try out hair systems in cycles, and it was kind of painful, but I’m pretty happy with the results so far. Looking for critiques and feedback to improve the realism.

Looking good so far, just a couple of areas to improve. The first is to do with the pose, if you look at this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Chilean_Rose_Tarantula.jpg) then you will notice that the last section of the legs points away from the body. The second area to improve is with the strand thickness. As in picture, the hair on a real tarantula isn’t as wide as it is here.

looks pretty good, a couple things, tarantulas have tiny hooked feet, which are often covered by a split encasement, like on a beetles back. also, the bristles on the back flow backwards whereas these seem to be standing straight

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to have to go back and remodel the whole thing. I made the hair strand too complex and I need to go much lower poly as my machine in pretty much hosed in this scene right now. And unfortunately most of the hair had to be converted to a mesh and so it’s not too flexible in terms of posing. That’s also why there’s only four legs showing.

I actually just picked a grey hairy spider from google for the reference image. This time I’ll use an actual tarantula.

visually I think the ‘Mexican Red Leg’ tarantula would be a good choice

It’s funny, I picked that same species out myself earlier today. Spent a little time on it this morning but got distracted by actual work. I’ll put some time on it tomorrow. I think I’ll model most of the hair strands on the large “butt spheroid” by hand, and the rest I can use particles. Do you know if there is a known bug in cycles in regard to particle system normals?

I’m not sure about the particle bug but I found this article on giant spiders, the lower one makes a good anatomical reference http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2155441/Scientists-unveil-20-new-species--blue-scorpion-tarantula-size-hand-got-knowing.html

Wow, that is a spider you don’t want to see. Cool link, thanks. If I get any more of the red mexican, I’ll post it. Think I’ll take my time and try and craft it rather than rushing. Do some sketches.