Tarby's sketchbook

New to Blender, but been lurking around the forums picking up tips. I’ve loved kitbashing since I was a kid (with real plastic), so I’ve been having fun while learning.

Caravan on planet Rhyl (WIP)

4 Likes

Just a fan work and wiggeting exercise (greebling, to the youngsters) while playing with various parallax methods by others, to avoid displacement for the panelling. Lots of shader learning with this. I find micro-roughness is an essential. The original model is here: https://sharecg.com/v/87935/gallery/5/3D-Model/Axinar-Ares-and-D6-Combo.

2 Likes

Other views of the D6.

3 Likes

Also been working on skin shading. Ignore the disparity between the face and torso shading. Again, I find micro-roughness to be useful. Hat tip to @ChrisJones for the tip about plugging a texture into the SSS radius.

2 Likes

Some more work on human shading, with a temp mesh hair and particle brows and lashes.

6 Likes

Super-high quality work here! So glad you started a sketchbook, welcome and keep it up! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks very much, that’s very kind :+1:

The joy of booleans, especially the slice option. A lot of the finer beveling is bevel nodes in the material shader trees. Work in progress.

4 Likes

Some more work on the custom spaceship.

6 Likes

Wow! Loving that white spaceship

1 Like

Thanks Eddyy

Experimenting with procedural textures to create displaced sci-fi style panelling.

SciFi_panels_shader_04a_JB_cube

6 Likes

impressive work! I love it all! That ship is so so awesome!

2 Likes

Cheers mate. It’s amazing what you can do in Blender if you set your mind to playing with it. Placing decals can drive you mad, though lol.

A few variations on the latest version of the procedural sci-fi panelling, controlled by a single input value.

3 Likes

After baking the displacement to an image map, using the map to drive a displace modifier after heavy subdivision, and experimenting with remeshing the resulting geometry, followed with a decimation. It uses the same material as before with the displacement node unplugged.

SciFi_Panels_shader_08d_meshed_test3_remesh_decimate_WIREFRAME

After a limited dissolve and triangulation.
SciFi_Panels_shader_08d_meshed_test3_remesh_decimate_WIREFRAME2

2 Likes

The displacement setup with additional image textures generated with jsplacement, offsetting the UVs using the heightmap chain to keep some kind of logic to how the details are applied among the panels.

3 Likes

this ish is dope af! Keep it up!

1 Like

Two more variations. The second has an interesting outline effect by using F1 smooth voronoi.

And with F1smooth applied to the first setup.

2 Likes

A couple more variations. Also adding detail displacement and a decal using empties (which took months to finally grasp the various tips online, although I broke the decal while making it limit in the Z :roll_eyes: ).

2 Likes