Team projects

I find the lack of finished games disturbing,

any game that is close to completion, I will help any way I can.

I have my own project moving again, but I still will donate time to any project near completion.

For me the best option is to create one small game in Blender in which everyone can easily contribute no matter their knowledge or skills using the BGE,but the problem in that is that it’s easy said than done.

What we need is something small to show off to encourage users to actually create full games or at least demos which can inspire others,it doesn’t have to be a full game but it has to be something which is playable.

This can be accomplished by making tutorials or some documentation on how to create different types of games on BGE this will help people start making their first small game which eventually might stimulate them to create something even more bigger.

The more support from the community = more successful projects and games being made

Indeed. I know that personally, I’m far, far better with the BGE now than I was a few years ago, and that’s while still using Python. A team project that’s open for everyone might sound like an easy, nice idea, but when you have people trying to work together and they have varying levels of skill, it’s could easily become a headache. That same logic can apply to other asset creation elements of making games as well.

^ That’s not a bad idea. More tutorials and stuff is always good for helping people to make games.

Actually how about learning python instead of messy, hard to use and outdated logic bricks? I was never able to understand your blend files with massive logic bricks and massive small scripts where each of them has 3-4 lines only. How about learning classing your repetitive operations in a way that you just change the arguments of the function in each situation?
Or if you still want to use logic to trigger python, then how about making all your scripts 1 single script classified into modules that you trigger in logic?

Logic is not outdated, its actually quite fast, but inflexible, however for evaluating properties, and then triggering python, or motions or actions, they are really handy and very fast. My motion graphics bog out much sooner if I use python in each object, where I can use 1000’s of objects running a little logic that does the same thing.

Python does not replace logic bricks

Logic bricks do not replace python.

I need to get a microphone and start documenting.

I think the problem mostly lies in the organisation of the projects, no one wants to be the one organising it. The fear of becoming solely the organizer of a project is holding people back.

@@BluePrintRandom : that ofcourse depends on how you use the python code, you can have a global manager managing every object and keep the logic quite low. That also gives the functionality some maintainability, if you want to update something you just need to do that in one place.

BluesPrintRandom is right regarding the logic bricks. Anyone damming logic bricks did not understand the architecture of the BGE’s logic.

Telling they are outdated shows lack of knowledge. Why should the age of a design make it bad? We still use the math developed ages ago.
The only way to “out-date” a design is to develop another design. This makes the existing design not bad, just different. The new one can introduce benefits and drawbacks as well. The age is no criteria to judge it.

But this was not the topic. The topic is, that BluePrintRandom offers to help other game projects.

Monster, well I didn’t mean outdated in terms of performance but in terms of usability and ability to understand/recreate what others have done using it.
But sure, back on topic.

Once I had the idea of Blender Cube.

The concept is to have large Cubes connected together. The player is inside of a cube. Each cube contains a user game. The games can be any game. The goal must be to reach one of the doors which is in the middle of each wall. When passing a door the player enters another cube with another user game.

The idea was to have a framework that does all the travelling and scene management for you. So you can simply upload a .blend and it will be seamless integrated into the existing game.

Well you can’t split the organizing and big picture tasks easily. There needs to be someone who knows what the project is striving for, how stuff is arranged, what properties you can access for something etc. Any coding job split at all is a potential headache. Don’t divide work that way not knowing what you’re doing and definitely don’t do it casually with occasional people strolling by.

For team projects split the asset creation job. “You know what, as long as it’s a mesh, is parented to armature named ‘billy-armature’ that has animations named ‘billy-walk’, ‘billy-run’ and ‘billy-attack’ I can directly use it.” Or “here are 3 levels I’ve made with jump pads and breakable boxes, can you make 3 new ones like them using the same group instances” I made? Sure it will look mismatched but at least you’ll get something finished.

Don’t use the team to get a 1-character, 1-enemy, 1-level game. Make that yourself and use “the team” to scale up and expand your 1-character, 1-enemy, 1-level game to something much more.

BPR as far as I know you’re projects are masterful studies of the physics system but not very interesting game ideas. To me it seems you are taking the overly simulated route towards something that has been “faked” for ages for more constant results and much easier development. Like it’s your goal to make something a system, not to make an interactive game WITH the system you made.

Know that people will only work for something they are truly interested in. Even if you volunteer to something you’re not interested yourself first there’s no obligations for the other guy to return the favor. People might want to feel like they just finish their own project first and “finishing a game project” is something that is hard to define as we all know…

I always wanted to do a “Reboot” fan game… My game, though complex, is in fact a game, and is pretty fun to drive. You must picture the same game with lasers, rockets, explosions, and actors skipping off walls, leaving a bloody stain as he twitches on the ground.

The assembly system has been a pain in the butt, but its almost a game unto itself.
Now I can get the original component cubes running as well, if I choose.

I love to develop, and have been trying to get modular to the point where they can be used in other games, but I am not as good at making readable code, but its getting there. My weapon manager + assembly system +ragdoll actor + some enemies and puzzles should be fun when all together.

If I plan a project in the future, for the community, it will be something that is mostly assets, like disk golf or?

Monsters idea is good as well, because each cube has a defined exit, and that is all, its like a canvas manager.

The modders of the game “legend of Grimrock” did something similar:
http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4982

It’s called the one room, round robin project, and each person involved made one “room” though actually it’s like a section of the dungeon. When they are all put together you can play it as a single game with many sub parts. It might make a fun project for the BGE. If a bunch of people got together and made a short game where the aim is go get out of a room (like a room escape or locked room scenario), when you get out of one room you go on to the next (or another one in a non-linear fashion). I bet a bunch of us have some resources we could pool together to make an interesting community game. It could be first person, or third person, puzzle or action, or platformer, or whatever, it could feature easter eggs of our own projects, and we could reuse some assets in each other’s games.

I think the real problem with team games is that it’s sometimes hard for some of us to understand the workings and planning of our own games, let alone other people’s. It’s easy to criticize some one for having an unorganized game, but if that’s their style of development why should we complain? My own style has changed a lot as I’ve learned more about Blender, the me of 2 years ago couldn’t possibly grasp the workings of the project I’m doing now. And when I look back at the games I was making then I can’t understand what in the world I was thinking… :slight_smile:

Lots of these kind of projects, like tutorials, team projects etc… get suggested from time to time, but as none of us get paid for our time it’s hard to follow through. I’d be up for some kind of one room project / competition though if at least 4 other people joined in.