"Tears in Rain" animation (Blade Runner)

Here’s an animation I did to test out the awesome flex rig:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2012/12/14/cg-cookie-flex-rig-download/#!prettyPhoto

I’ve always loved this part of Blade runner. Nothing like remaking it with a really skinny guy! On second thought, I could just raise the muscle slider and re-render, but oh well.

The rain and background was done in after effects.

I probably won’t work on it any more, but I thought I’d put it up to encourage people to try out this great rig.

Never got a chance to finish that movie. But the animation was great.

His head bobs are very unnatural at the beginning-- they need some ease in and out. His eyes (lids) leave his eyes in an unnatural shape fairly often, and his eyes don’t move much.

But it’s not bad though

I believe the unnatural look is that one part of him moves then the next moves, the head moves then the body moves, not all together. looks good. I cant count how many times I watched the movie. His life span is about to end.
Good job

Thanks for the crits. It really is amazing how much refining needs to be done to get out of “average” into “good” (not to mention "excellent) when it comes to animation. I’m loving the animation toolkit training series, by the way, and would highly recommend it to anyone who’s been sitting on the fence.

Hey, that was really great! I love the look of the rain, very realistic. And something about the skin makes him look as if he really is wet, and that there is rainwater on his skin. The lipsynch and animation are very good. Even the hair looks very good.
The only quibble I have with it is that about halfway through his right eyebrow seemed to raise high and never really came back down again completely. I don’t know if it’s intentional or not, but that is very minor I know.
Otherwise, it’s completely fantastic.
Great work.

BTW: Did you know that this speech was not in the script?
In fact, on the day of this shot, Ridley Scott went to Hauer’s trailer to make sure he was ready. Rutger Hauer sat him down and said: “Hey, I’ve been playing with some lines of poetry in my head, and something’s starting to come together. Tell me what you think of this…” and he recited this speech to Scott, who loved it and insisted that Hauer give it a try on the upcoming shot. It made the scene.
Otherwise, it would have been a very quiet scene in which Deckerd was simply left wondering why Roy Batty saved him…

(Subbed you on YouTube. I thought the bits from your “Nova Roma” were really cool too. Nothing beats Roman sci-fi!)

Spoiler Alert! If you are going to give out a point in the movie, at least give out a warning. I didn’t get a chance to see that movie yet! I had to stop about the first 5 words on that movie, Adam!

Um. You said you hadn’t been able to finish it… You do know this movie came out in like 1982, right?
Anyway, I didn’t give anything away. It wasn’t a spoiler.
The clip is, though.:slight_smile:

I fell asleep. That’s why. But as far as that clip, give me some time and it will be a forgotten memory in about a week and a half.

Well, you should watch it. Splash some cold water on your face, sit up, and gut it out.
I played it for my roomate once. He’s got great taste in films. But I went out for a smoke and when I came in he was snoring in Bladerunner. Sigh.
By today’s standards, it’s a slow film.
In it’s own day it was considered a complete commercial failure. It took years for the film to even break even. No, I’m not kidding.
It’s now considered one of the great seminal classic sci-fi films of all time, possibly next to “2001” or “Star Wars” as the greatest sci-fi film (and “2001” was considered a “magnificent failure” at the time too, and “Star Wars” isn’t even sci-fi…)
Anyway, watch the movie. More than once. It will inspire you and it will make you want to make some great animation.

Blade Runner and 2001 are fantastic. Existentialism must have been so lame in the days before sci fi.

True that. I think there is something inherently sci-fi about existentialism. Or maybe it’s vice versa.
At any rate, I think existentialism implies a more scientific way of looking at reality. If old spiritual stories are no longer enough to explain reality, then it’s time to get empirical.
Then again, there is and always has been a certain strain of religious (or possibly anti-religious?) wonder in great sci-fi. You are led to the very questions at the core of all great religions. In sci-fi, you always end up with questions and answers from reason. But that is not always enough to make great stories. At any rate, there is always a religious debate in great sci-fi, or at least the debate between science and religion in order to explain the deepest and thorniest questions of existence. It’s why you get religious symbolism in the middle of films about spaceships.
Sci-fi tells the same stories as the ancient religious allegories. It just doesn’t always insist that the thinkers are doing the work of the devil (although sometimes it does.)

Soapbox now open.

Nice animation! Good job on the skin material, too. My main critique is that it looks like he is over-enunciating some of the words. Also, don’t forget to use moving holds. Once the head gets into it’s position, tweak the curves a bit so that it moves just a tiny bit more over time. People hardly ever go completely still.