telecaster (updated)

hello,
i’ve been playing with blender for 1 month now. prior to that i’ve never used any 3d app. somehow blender clicks with my brain in a good way. here’s my latest model (still lots more work to do. headstock, bridge, and i need to re-do the body because that f-hole is fake and where the body meets the neck isn’t correct). any comments/suggestions are most welcome.
thanks,
david

Attachments

Since you’ve been only at it for a month I like it alot. If I was gonna make a scene with that guitar it I’d use it how it is.

Wow! One month…?

I’m modeling a guitar 2

How did U created it?

Attachments

nicdebinknl please dont hijack this thread, this is for feedback for treatkor

anyway treatkor for only having experiance for one month this is quite amazing :smiley: keep up the great work

thanks! i’ve been going at it with blender fairly non-stop. i started to really get the interface after following greybeard’s ‘bathtub and bishop’ tutorial. and i’ve just been doing every tutorial i can find. :slight_smile: here’s some of my other blender stuff: http://picasaweb.google.com/treatkor

for this telecaster i’m using this image as reference: http://www.fender.com/new_repository/fender_guitars/images/0137402_xl.jpg
i also own this guitar (a 1972), so i’m familiar with the shapes.

i traced the shapes over the picture using bezier curves for the body shape and pickguard and started with cubes for everything else. i’m having trouble with the body mesh. i want it to be all quads but since i started with bezier curves, extruded, then converted object type to mesh, i’ve got a bunch of long skinny triangles and some funny spots where the curves curves cut across themselves. the body mesh does not use sub-surfs.

Nice Render. Only thing I could see that was missing was the slit in the face plate for the PU selector switch.

Personal, I’ve started moddeling a few guitars (mind you haven’t finished one fully at this stage. Only one of the models is going for photo realistic and it’s a Standard Tele, all others a ‘fun’ styled guitars.

For the solid body electric like the Tele which has a body (doesn’t apply to the strat on which one area get’s thinner), I didn’t actually convert it to a mesh, personally I just set the properties on the Curve and Surface tab (Extrude for depth, bevel depth for the edge and bevresol), granted this particular guitar would be different with the f hole, but other than actually going around the model, deleting all the triange faces and then making faces out of 4 verticies, cause unfortunately the fill function on a mesh like that either won’t work, or will create triangle faces.

Daniel

Very nice render and all the others, especially the abstract ones, on putfile. I’m new to 3d, too, but started blender a half year ago. I do not have much time, but even if I had, I wouldn’t get that far in this short time.

Keep going…

small update (and playing with toon shaders)
you can’t tell from this toon shaded version, but now the f-hole is real, but the mesh is kinda messy in that area.

Attachments

Good progress. It’s looking very competent given that you’re a relatively new Blender user!

I’m interested in your render settings - have you used Ambient Occlusion? Could you share your render settings?

yes, using ambient occlusion. i like the gritty-ness it gives with a low sample setting and no OSA.
i’ve got two lamps in the scene, one up close and only affecting the layer with the yellowish guitar body set at .2 energy, no specular. and another up higher and farther away affecting the whole scene at .5 energy.
let me know if you’d like more details. i’m just poking around with things until i get something i like.

here’s a capture of the settings. (AO, render, body material)

Attachments

Thanks man! That’s a great help :slight_smile:

Are you going to add strings ? The material of the pickups an the knobs could be a bit more chrome maybe… or are you rather going for a brushed look ?
The wood materials look quite convincing to me, nice work indeed

update. added strings, headstock and details to the bridge. still need to finish the tuners(not happy with the ones i’ve done) and add a bit more to the bridge. and i just realized there’s no way to plug this thing in! i may also do some dupliverted grippy bumps on the knobs too.

deFStone, thx, i’m pretty happy with the materials too. the pick ups do have a semi-brushed look, but i may tweak that some. (the wood material on the neck is from matlib_v102, all others are my own creation) now i just need to finish up the details, get the lighting right and model my amp for it to lean on.

http://treatkor.com/images/thinline_wip22_fbt.png

Attachments

Excellent

why dont you use a bump map for the knurling (bumpy grippy stuff) - it would keep the count down.

forgive my newb-ness here. but is a bump map the same as a UV map? the same as a displacement map?

searching for tutorials…

Hey, more guitars! :slight_smile:

Looking great so far! You might want to change the lighting a bit, I think the `dirty’ shade overrules your model, get a descent environment map too; it really helps making the model look more real. Maybe also put it on a floor, now it looks like it’s flying through the air :slight_smile:

Keep on with it! :slight_smile:

I use the term bump map when Im talking about a nor or displacement map. As there is a very small displacement needed I’d just use a nor map to get the texture.

UV mapping is just another way of putting an image onto a mesh (the only way for games engine) to the normal texture option. Either of these methods can be applied as a bump map

denshidan, thanks for clarifying. i found a bump map tutorial which helped out. and in doing this, i learned about vertex groups too :slight_smile: attached is my test of the bump map. oh boy, a whole new door has been opened for me with this.

krizz, i definitely need to play with the lighting. i don’t really know what i’m doing with lights yet. it seems that small changes in the lights make a huge difference in my materials, especially the “shiny” ones. (without AO (sub), the bridge materials go totally blown out) i’m going for realism but i also like renders that have an “illustrated” touch.
while i like the dirtyness, i agree it’s too much. i’ll have to invesigate environment maps too.

so nice to get comments and tips, keep em coming! (and thanks)

Attachments

I did the grip on the knob by diplivert’ing (too much) small pyramids on the side of the knob itself…very good for your rendering time :slight_smile: But it looks better than a bump map IMO, I’m quite a perfectionist concerning the looks so I don’t bother about rendering time :-?

Its ‘horses for courses’ really. If your doing a close up on the knob itself then the duplivert is better but for anything thats not ‘close up’ its really a waste of time being that detailed (only so many pixels in an image)

For detail its:-

mid-far -> nor
mid -> displacement
close -> actual vertex changes

The great thing about nor mapping is you can lay several maps over each other to 'build up a surface. For the example of the knobs you could lay a simple ‘scratch’ map over the top and sides, or even a rust bump map

DSD