Tell me. Am I retarded or is the teacher at my kid's school?

Problem solved.
I just got news from my wife (via cell phone), that the teacher had erroneously marked the question as wrong.
The correct answer is:
4 + 2 = 6

No further explanation yet as to why the teacher made the mistake. I best assumption would be that the teacher’s answer book had a typo., being that many students were in the same predicament.

Glad to hear it.
I still think a single-digit addition problem is well within a trivial range for the teacher to make such an error… Perhaps he had too little sleep before grading…

Isnt it 2 + 4 = 6…

well doesnt matter. the problem is solved… Now go and slap the teacher.

I find it interesting that the teacher didn’t notice anything strange even after marking the same question wrong on dozens of tests.

Unless, of course, the class was full of stupid children…

Don’t you all know that 2x2=2? I mean, 1x1 is 1, so…

Well you are a jeev so you´re probably right :smiley:

Well you are a jeev so you´re probably right :D[/quote]
That’s why I never ask Jeeves… :wink:

Martin

That’s why I never ask Jeeves… :wink:

Martin[/quote]

LOLZ LOL L0l WOOT W007!!!11!eleven!!!11 B3STEST G33K J0K3 3VAR!!!111thirtyfive!!!1

Whoa, I thought you said Jew and I was like WTF.

Look at the answer again. The teacher not only marked an x by the wrong answer, but also looked at the kid’s diagram and marked it with an x.

It’s number one… :wink:

Does is present continuous or immediate past, sort of, whereas did is past and final.

I lean toward did.

My peeves are the use of “even”, as in “He didn’t even,etc”, without previous conditions. ie He didn’t do this; He didn’t do that and he didn’t EVEN do something else.

“EVEN” is this case is a conditional exemplary and the previous condition(s) must be supplied.

The other is qualitative and quantitative assessment.

Whenever someone says “a great amount of people” I want to shake them by the throat and scream “it’s a great NUMBER of people” you bloody idiot.

That reminds me of a third “There’s lots…”
This is a contraction of “There is lots” which should be “There ARE lots”
Or “There’re lots”

I feel better now…

Er:
There is a lot.
There are a lot.

Choice of verb is acceptable either way here, depending on how you wish to represent the lot: as a collection of individuals or as a whole. Don’t use “lots”.

What I don’t like is that all the answers are correct, in a way…

2+2=4 - correct
2+3=5 - correct
2+4=6 - correct
4+4=8 - correct

They really shouldn’t show the sum, just the number on it’s own; or at least don’t make it multi-choice.

btw, remember that teachers only teach because they can, not because they’re good at what they teach.

In most schools, yes. However, there have been a handful of teachers at my school who would be exceptional academics, however they chose to become teachers out of conviction. For instance, my history teacher. He taught us from the script of a book he wrote but never got published. He was absolutely amazing, he knew about everything you would ask him about, whether it was facts or linked events, etc. Or my biology teacher, who used to be a scientist, but settled for being a teacher because he wanted to be one. We found his paycheck in class once when he went out to get some equipment, which he had left there by mistake. And the pay was pretty decent for a teacher.

Unfortunately lots is used constantly, Eventually it will become the acceptred norm and the plural verb will disappear.

Sadly, that appears to be true. I wish I could find it, but there was a transverse study finished while I was still in grade school measuring the vocabulary size of university students across time. It concluded that modern generations of students have a significantly smaller vocabulary than previous.

These kinds of studies are wont to happen every decade or so, and are befraught with intrinsic methodological problems, but from my experiences I think the overall conclusion is very close. There is, of course, a shift in vocabulary: new terms enter-in as our technology and culture diversifies and becomes more accessible via public media. But the complexity of the material we are required to read is diminishing.

I’ve learned to “dumb-down” my language just so other people can understand me. It ticks me off. Particularly if I want to express a complex thought --it’s beyond the reception of most people. Alas, fruits of our microwave culture, where everything is instant.

(Remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer buys a slice of pizza and is told he’ll have to wait five seconds while the microwave heats it? And his response, “Ohh, but I want it now!”?)